Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Removing the motor

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dash 
#1 ·
Ok... So I've been debating for a week or so whether or not to remove the motor from the frame. I am going towards a cafe style bike and was simply going to just clean and touch up the frame and motor. The more I stare at the bike the more I wanna take it apart. So I'm thinking of removing everything and having the frame powder coated. I've read enough post to lead me to believe that the removal of the motor is fairly simple. I just want the bike to be as clean and new looking as possible when I'm finished so I don't have any regrets. Does anyone have an objection, suggestions, or comments?

#4 ·
i took me less than 2 hours to pull the motor. ive never worked on a motorcycle before and found it to be extremely easy. dont worry about how it came apart it will go together easy. and there are plenty of pics throughout this site to get u back up and running.

#5 ·
I guess it's settled. I'll pull it this weekend. Would it be better to powder coat the frame or just sand blast it then paint it. I'm trying to keep it low budget but I don't want to skimp out on the quality when it comes to beautifying my project.

#6 ·
Power coating is definitely the "Cadillac" choice but a rattle can paint job will do just a good if you're talking about just the frame. The frame doesn't have to be perfect after all unlike the gas tank where every little blemish shows up.

And I agree with rickbert -- pulling a CX/GL500 motor is easier than pie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.