Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've taken my 1982 cx500 tank off to clean out rust. I'm going to be using the electrolysis method but I'm having trouble removing the petcock filter. The petcock and tube came out fine however there still appears to be a plastic liner in the tank connection. I assume this is the actual filter which I'd like to clean but I cant figure out how to remove it? It's really jammed in there so I'm soaking it in penetrating oil to see if it will free it up. Does anyone have experience removing these? Also if I cant get it out then does the filter have any components that will get damaged from the electrolysis process?

Thanks. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
21,158 Posts
I have a very small flat screwdriver that I work down the side of the filter sleeve and then roll it around the full diameter of the bunghole, between it and the sleeve.

Sometimes I use a really pointy set of needle nosed pliers to slip down and pull it out after loosening.

I would have a 90 % success rate with this method.

Minor deformation of the lip will be pressed back into shape by the petcock when refitting, but you don't want to mangle it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts