Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hoping to find an easy answer to this for the weekend.

bike's currently got only 1 headlight ear on it:

I've read I might need to hoist the bike up (for front shock purposes) before removing the bolt and stuff to get the ear up and out. If I leave the right side in tact, can I just leave the bike on the ground and take apart the left side?

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Just take the upper section loose and leave the lower fork bolts tight. You won't need to raise the bike to get it off that way. It's only a 5 minute job from the looks of all the parts you already have off.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just take the upper section loose and leave the lower fork bolts tight. You won't need to raise the bike to get it off that way. It's only a 5 minute job from the looks of all the parts you already have off.

thanks man. Are you the author of the carb book? If so, I orderd one yesterday, excited to get to it. If it can get a newb like me through a solid carb rebuild, you'd deserve an award...

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Yep top bridge off and it should slide right up and off. Watch where the wires move to so you can get them back into the same position.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
thanks man. Are you the author of the carb book? If so, I orderd one yesterday, excited to get to it. If it can get a newb like me through a solid carb rebuild, you'd deserve an award...

Yep, I'm the book guy. Your book went out yesterday. Let me know if you have any questions in the carb rebuild.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Don't break out the grinder. No need to ruin a piece that someone else could use.

find a tool that can do it. Do you have a visegrip? or Channel locks? Clamp it on and take a hammer and tap the long side of the end to break it free.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't break out the grinder. No need to ruin a piece that someone else could use.

find a tool that can do it. Do you have a visegrip? or Channel locks? Clamp it on and take a hammer and tap the long side of the end to break it free.

i don't have any heavy tools. Any help on removing that bolt then? for cheap? will the frame of the bike be still supported by other bolts? seems that main giant bolt is holding the front wheel (at least partially) to the the bike's frame. If I can get it off right, I'll be more than willing to sell it here

·
Registered
66 Posts
You could always put the bike on the center stand, put a block or some support under the motor enough to raise the front tire off the ground just a bit. Remove front tire, your front fender is already off so loosen the top fork bolt and then the bottom one and the fork should slide out. After the fork is out just make sure the tabs that hold cables and wire are opened up alittle and pull ear out. Might be a 10-15 min job. Just a 10mm and 12mm needed for the job. Your question about can I just remove the left side without raising the bike? Nope have to remove front axle. There would be no support. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You could always put the bike on the center stand, put a block or some support under the motor enough to raise the front tire off the ground just a bit.

I have taken the front wheel off without putting any support under the engine,,when you remove the front wheel the back end is heavy enough that the bike will rock back and sit on the back wheel.

This may not work on a bike with front fairing though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.