Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help getting my front tire off. There seems to be a cap (haynes term) over the nut and split pin (right hand side). I can't get this mo-fo off!

IMG_0012_zps7a1e5e10.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine didnt have any sort of cap on it.

Did you take the clamp bolt out all the way? I tryed to leave it in loose and got me into trouble.

Tapping a flat blade screwdriver into the crack helps too but might leave a mark.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Remove the pinch bolt.

That is not a nut. It is the head of the axle. Lefty loosey, righty tighty...........

The axle has a groove that mates with the pinch bolt.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Same as mine, that pinch bolt needs to come right out. The axle nut should be on the other side, remove it first then remove the pinch bolt and the axle will slide out (towards you looking at the wheel as in the pic). You will need to remove the caliper so you have room AND remove the speedo pick up unit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Removed mine last night to fix my speedo gear.

Remove the pinch bolt on the right side. Remove the caliper on the left side (I left mine on since one bolt was stuck). Remove the speedo gear cable

Use a Wrench/Rachet on the right Axle nut and it should start coming out. Push it out from the left side carefully with a screw driver.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a picture of the left side. There don't seem to be any nuts on the axle on this side.

That nut in the first pic wont budge. I tried wrenching it with the vertical nut / bolt on the right side completely out with no luck. I tried tapping on the left side to work the axle out... nothing.

IMG_0013_zpse7cc7749.jpg

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Take the pinch bolt completely out, unscrew the axle. Hammering and pounding will only ruin
your day. The axle is screwed into the left fork leg. I have an '81C on my lift.

Reactions: Infinite

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I lubed it up before I went to bed yesterday and borrowed a rachet with more leverage, then it came loose. I just cranked on the bolt looking thing on the right side, which turned out to be the axle.

Thanks guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts