Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Is there any tricks when you don't have the honda tool?
yes,its quite easy.

the fan is a tapered fit onto the shaft.

remove the bolt that secures the fan,and buy a bolt size...... Fan puller bolt.

M14 x 1.5 about 2 inches long

screw this into the fan until it bottoms out[touches the shaft] tighten a fraction more and give the head a tap.your fan should pop off

·
Registered
47 Posts
in a pinch, you can use the front axle for this job

Reactions: patineto

·
Registered
458 Posts
Agreed, I always use the front axle. Do up hand tight, and a "gentle" tap with a mallet. Works every time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Go buy the bolt, Just a buck or two and you can easily find them at Lowes or Home Depot with the specs provided. That way your not pulling the wheels off. I bought a bolt when my fan imploded taking everything with it a couple of years ago. Worked like a champ.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
The bolt is always better and easier to use without dropping the front wheel. Some Axles don't have the right thread on the front to do the job anyway.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
If you have an air chuck, you can use that, works great. Might have to use a bolt or washers for it to reach, I don't remember if I needed them or not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are great, fan popped off and am now that much deeper into the tear down. Thanks all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Agreed, I always use the front axle. Do up hand tight, and a "gentle" tap with a mallet. Works every time.

First time I had to take the fan off I tried the front axle bolt and that did not work at all. Every time I've had to take the fan off I've used the rear axle bolt. It fits perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
If you have an air chuck, you can use that, works great. Might have to use a bolt or washers for it to reach, I don't remember if I needed them or not.

Now that's nice.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
how do you get fan off if treads are strip????

A ball joint removal tool (pickle fork) works well too, BTDT many times. They're cheap (less than $10), and now most of the larger autoparts chains will loan you one for free.

Tap it in under the boss slow and steady and the fan will pop right off.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Knowing my luck. I would use the front axle and mess up the threads. Then I need a fan and a axle, lol.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Dont use the axle, just buy a bolt for a $1.00 Works like a dream and no damage

·
Registered
834 Posts
Could not find 14mm x 1.5 locally (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, Rural King, Fastenal) I did find out that for many years, say, ’92 through ’08 Mercedes used a lug bolt that will work. So I went to the junkyard. The bolts were gone from the Mercedes but I noticed lug bolts screwed into a Volvo wheel and pulled one on a hunch. Worked fine, free. No idea what year Volvo but if you find a correct sized one on ebay the auction might list the years it fits. Same for the Mercedes. Searching eBay, it appears that a number of makes used the 14mm x1.5mm lug bolt. BTW, the threads need to go into the fan just under ½ inch on my ’81 GL500.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts