Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to knock some of the rust off of my h-box and paint it with high-temp, but it doesn't want to let go of the headers. If I unbolt the headers is there a gasket that I'll likely need to replace? is there good way to pull the h-box with the headers intact or is that not recommended?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
You can leave them on and pull it off. It's easier to get the mufflers off though with it still bolted to the bike. It gives you some leverage to pull against. It's easier to remove the Hbox with headers on it when the rear pipes are off.

Yes there is a gasket in there. They tend to fall apart if your connections are all rusted. But they can be bought from online sources.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
took a while for me to get mine off too. Back and forth back and forth.

Pipes are off. I was just a little concerned about yanking around on the h-box too much with the headers attached - don't want to damage them. But if you guys say it can be done, then I'll start the sweating and grunting.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The headers are double tube. So the outside one doesn't go blue, and for heat transfer. Best to order new gaskets, lazy owners like me, dont change them in 30 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the H box is also attached to the engine below. Make sure to remove that bolt.

Thanks Phil, when i was sizing up the job, I noticed that PO had previously removed these and never bothered to replace. The poor guy admitted himself that he had no business owning a motorcycle.

After 30 mins of wailing I budged the h-box ~5mm last night. at it again this evening

·
Registered
602 Posts
Rattliff, it sounds like you are trying to get the H-box off of the header pipes, while the header pipes are still on the engine?

When I have dropped the exhaust I have always pulled the header pipes first (a couple of taps with a rubber mallet will get them to wiggle and they will will usually come out ok after that), then I pull the mufflers off, then I unbolt the H-box from the frame. It's worked for me ok.

·
Registered
422 Posts
One side of my hbox was ridiculously hard to get off. Required lots of twisting and pulling and hammering with a mallet to get the header loose from it.

There are copper crush-rings that you will need to replace if you remove the headers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rattliff, it sounds like you are trying to get the H-box off of the header pipes, while the header pipes are still on the engine?

When I have dropped the exhaust I have always pulled the header pipes first (a couple of taps with a rubber mallet will get them to wiggle and they will will usually come out ok after that), then I pull the mufflers off, then I unbolt the H-box from the frame. It's worked for me ok.

thats exactly what I was wondering in my original post. I guess that if the h-box isn't too corroded it might be feasible to remove it with the headers intact, but mine's pretty ugly looking. Are the copper crush rings referred to by the other member readily available (auto parts or MC shop)? or do I have to special order them?

Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah Mate, available almost anywhere. CMSNL.com or DavidSilverSpares.com etc... etc...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, all pulled apart and wire-wheeled the rust off the h-box and the bad spots on the headers - any suggestions for high-temp paint?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts