Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought the fan would come right off but alas no. is there a way to take it off with out expensive tools?

·
Registered
385 Posts
a 14 x 1.5 metric bolt about 2 inches long.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im tearing apart the motor piece by piece, rebuilding and repainting every part i can. i didn't really want to go this far but, to properly strip and repaint the way i want its got to come all apart. plus i know what ill be starting with. a 30 year old bike and i dont know the history, new is better then guessing.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
thread through the hole and tighten til it pops loose?
YUP........

Be sure to check the fan blades for cracks/fatigue etc as they are known to explode while riding.....

All The Best.........keith.......

·
Registered
385 Posts
You may want to consider the electric fan conversion while you have the thing taken apart.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The front or rear axle work.

If you´re lucky, that is.

The fan hub is made from rather soft metal. The axle has a chamfered / coned end. A flat-end bolt is much better. Every piece of thread is cruical. The fan axle advice is given in "Haynes´ Book Of Lies". I´ve stripped one fan hub, myself. Know several more...

If you´re going to use the axle - thread it in as far as possible. Tighten only softly. Tap (the axle) with a small hammer, at the same time you try to tighten a little more. Easy does it! Don´t get brutal!

Sture

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
+1 to the not the axles. It is a lot cheaper to go to the hardware store and buy the 14MM 1.5 pitch metric flat end bolt for a few bucks than risk an axle. I'd say only in an emergency, and even then.....would you have the tools at hand?

Joel in the Couve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.