Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 1981 cx500c that isn't quite starting. It ran when i first got it but my carbs were flooding due to bad float. while my carb is out, i was thinking of removing the Airbox to give it that sleek look with nothing underneath the seat. I read in places that i might have to readjust my carbs, if so does that mean just to resnyc them? I would like to know if i would need to do anything of that nature before ripping out!
Thanks for the help,
-DreamRide

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
You'll get plenty of others chiming in, but if you remove the airbox, you will need to fit some type of air filters (many use pod style), change the jets in the carbs (not the same as a sync), and fit a different breather vent from the crankcase. You will not likely see an improvement in performance, more likely a reduced performance. While the box may seem unsightly, it is a well designed part of the fuel and air flow system.

·
Super Moderator
22,142 Posts
Get it running properly as is before you start modifying anything or you'll be chasing your tail for weeks.

To run without airbox you will need to rejet and likely mod a set of cheapo chinese pods.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you can afford it, chuck the stock carbs and by a set of Mikunis from Murray. His set up works slick, fits well, and comes with everything you need. It changes the way the bike runs immensely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theres the answer i was looking for, thanks guys basically i shouldn't get the twin filters unless I'm willing to reject my carbs?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
unless your carbs are properly clean they wont function correctly , so do as CXPhreak suggests and get the thing running properly before you start to alter anything . If you do remove the airbox - a sawzall is the easiest way to get it out - you will most likely need to rejet. Do a search of the forum for information on rejetting , and more importantly on the correct pods to fit. There are some pods that will block the atmosphere ports on the back of your carbs and prevent correct running. Read first , chop last

Reactions: nolimitz

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
+1 on read first, chop last. We don't need any more of those thread posts that says "Dammit, now you tell me! I just...........and it won't run"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts