Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
Well can't find the orginal thread that convinced me to remove the pull off(return) throttle cable from my Gl500i. But want to thank Sidecar bob for the suggestion. First it had a kink in it and was about to break. Now engine comes to idle much faster,and my throttle lock holds position now and much easier to open throttle and hold it with my hand. So thanks Bob.

·
Super Moderator
15,315 Posts
Now that you're not assisted by the extra cable you should probably spray the center of the carbs once a year with some spray lubricant just to ensure it keeps snapping back to zero.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already doing that, found out that was my intermitant vibration I was getting. Living in a farm area has alot of dirt on the road and the right carb would not open or close at the same rate as the left carb. All the carb balancing was to no availle till i figured out to spray the linkage.
Thanks for the advice , hopefully helps a member smooth out their bike, cheers

·
Registered
815 Posts
The old bikes I had only had one cable, totally lube dependent. When the lead ball pulls off the cable it is a frightening experience on the street! The push/pull system takes much stress off both cables, wish I could find exact new replacements for the cx650c, one replacement barely fit, the other much too short. I try to keep them oiled!😎

·
Super Moderator
13,013 Posts
If the return spring is working it will close the throttles if the pull cable breaks unless there is a "push" cable to interfere with it. The so-called "push" cable is only there so you can close the throttles if the return spring on the throttle linkage fails. Since it is only along for the ride the rest of the time it tends to become gunned up or corroded and will cause more problems than it could ever solve.
In over 20 years on bike forums and 35 years on bikes I've never heard of a throttle spring breaking but I've heard of lots of problems that were caused by those useless cables.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come to think of it have never seen a broken return spring on any carb I have ever worked on. Seized trottle shafts caused by lack of use, lube and abused by stupid's ( sorry some customers are really dumb)but cables are a high maintaince item in my book. Regular inspection and lubing required . Only spring that i found broken or mostly missing was the one that pulls the transission linkage on to the throttle of an old mopar product( can you say kluncks when i come to a stop).

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
This might sound dumb but whats the easiest way to remove it? Can you take it off without removing the carbs? How have I not known about this magic for the last twelve years?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Comes off a gl500 without carb removal , just need a small 90 degree pick to unhook it off carb. 10 mm wrench to unscrew cable housing first. On mine had too remove brake master to split throttle control housing to remove cable from throttle handle. Took way longer to tap and find a 1/8 pipe thread plug to go into the old cable adapter.

·
Super Moderator
13,013 Posts
I just cut a little rubber disc from some old inner tube and used the threaded part of the cable to hold it in place.

Until I replaced the switches with ones from Enfields that don't have the hole.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Did it today, took the carbs off. Took me about an hour total but wow, the difference is night and day. Much smoother throttle feel now! Thanks for the idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts