Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda cx500c custom
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1980 cx500, and I’m rebuilding but I wanna check the whole wiring harness. But if I get a regulator rectifier, would I have to get a new stater too. This is my first restoration/project bike. If I do will you guys also help send websites that’s are trust worthy. Im just trying to get it up and running atm.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
So I have a 1980 cx500, and I’m rebuilding but I wanna check the whole wiring harness. But if I get a regulator rectifier, would I have to get a new stater too.
You do not need to replace the stator at the same time as the regulator rectifier. However don't think of replacing parts without reason. Same for the wiring harness; do you have reason to suspect a problem with the regulator rectifier and the wiring harness?
Visit the wiki, linked in my signature, and download a copy of the factory service manual for your particular bike and read it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
You do not need to replace the stator at the same time as the regulator rectifier. However don't think of replacing parts without reason.
Agreed, always check for proper charging but unless it's not charging correctly I would leave it alone. I've done 20+ resurrections and only had two bad systems, a '93 VFR750 and and '81 GS550T (current project).

All other systems have charged batteries correctly.

·
Registered
1980 Honda cx500c custom
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You do not need to replace the stator at the same time as the regulator rectifier. However don't think of replacing parts without reason. Same for the wiring harness; do you have reason to suspect a problem with the regulator rectifier and the wiring harness?
Visit the wiki, linked in my signature, and download a copy of the factory service manual for your particular bike and read it.
So I was gonna do the up grade from acid to lithium battery. That's the only reason why i was asking.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Is that an upgrade? 😁 Unless nonstock size or unusual orientation is the priority?

Reactions: washoe
1 - 7 of 7 Posts