Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I posted this on the aus cx500 site but thought I would try here. I need a reg/rec to work with my lithium battery. recommended charge for my battery is 14.1-14.8v

I know there has been a lot of talk by some of you on your battery upgrades etc so would love to know where you guys have bought your reg/recs from. I have only found one on murrys site and have emailed but been waiting quite a while for a response. I would like to get one asap.

Looking forward to the responses

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is only my own experience and therefore you must investigate yourself if you go this route:

Because I ran out of space, building a cafe racer, I very recently installed a NovelBat Lithium LifePO4 battery ( NLFP - 7L ) in my CX with the stock rec. etc - it is roughly 35% the size of the OEM battery. My CX puts out about 14.7V at 5000 rpm. The Lithium needs to charge between 14V and 15V... but not more than 15V. It has "over charge" protection built into the battery - cold cracking of 140A. I have only tested this setup for about a 100km over the past two days. After riding the battery measures 14.25V which is within spec according to the manufacturer. So far I'm very satisfied.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Point mate, I will see if I can borrow a multi and see what mines currently producing and then go from there, Murruy has been in contact with me through the forum which has also been a help now also.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a reasonable price mm is one of the first tools you need to own. $10-20 max almost anywhere..
Yeah ive made it all these years without one so far and this will be the first time ive needed one !! having never used one and finding electrical things confusing I re wired my bike using the m unit blue so all the faults get sent to my ph. made my life so much easier

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right so I now have a multi meter, I tested the battery it came up with 12.6v and a tested a few other things to make sure I was on the correct setting. I have three wires out of the reg red black and green on the red and green I get .06-.07 volts regardless of rpm and no other reading with any other combination of coloured wires. I was expecting 16volts plus. Where am I going wrong here??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to give you some more info, i tested the plug with yellow wires coming from the motor, All three pretty consistent 27 odd ( ac i think ) at idle and all went up when revs applied, I did followed a ricks motorsport reg testing vid and when i did the beep test like in the video everything seemed to work like he said. Just a thought as my reg has three wires, none of them are connected to the battery at this stage. I think maybe that one of them either the black or green is a sensor wire and needs to be on the battery for the reg to operate??? or is that a wild guess?

i will post the vids below with what i followed

I got 1.5 ohms on all three in this test and 27plus on the later part of the stator test

1 - 11 of 11 Posts