Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for all the replies. I think I've got enough clearance. I'm sure I will find out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I've got the the point where I need to figure out where all the bits and bobs will go. I want to make this motorcycle as simple as possible, with nothing that is not absolutely needed.

Here is my list - tell me what I am missing (I am not asking about the legal lights and stuff. I am asking about the electrical parts to make it run):
Rectifier
Starter Solenoid
CDI Unite
Battery (you can see the battery box on the right of the picture. I think I'll mount the rectifier on the outside front of the battery box)
Fuses (I will put in a little fuse box - under the seat. How many fuses do I need?)
Turn relay
The bike did not come with a key switch. I think I'll go with a hidden button start switch. If anyone knows how to do this I would appreciate a link or some help.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Since it is a CDI ignition a bettery is not required as you can bump start the bike.

You will need some switch to cut power from the battery in addition to a start button. The start button supplies 12 volts to the solenoid, so run a wire from your battery switch to the start button then from there to the solenoid.

Are you going to have a kill switch in some handy place on the handlebars in case the throttle sticks open some day?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks reclinedrelic. I think I actually understand your explanation (given my level of understanding or electrical systems that's a compliment to you!). Yes I will have a kill switch. I will have a battery too.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts