Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be setting out from Saint Louis is October across the plains, through the Pacific Northwest followed by a trip down the coast and back through the desert and bayou. I'm in search of saddle bags that can accommodate a decent amount of storage and possibly a luggage rack.

Any suggestions on those that will fit my 1980 CX 500 Deluxe would be appreciated.

Thanks to you all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I had a great set of Krauser hard bags on my '79 35 years ago. Don't know how to find a set. These were found on BMW's, but had a bracket system for the CX's.
Have you tried ebay?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a hard tail box and rear rack to fit your bike,they came of my 79 standard or deluxe.
LMK if your interested and I will send some pics.thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a great set of Krauser hard bags on my '79 35 years ago. Don't know how to find a set. These were found on BMW's, but had a bracket system for the CX's.
Have you tried ebay?[/QUOTE

I have very loosely tried eBay, although I think at this point I'll probably be going with a pair of bicycle panniers strapped to the rear portion of my seat.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
You may want to look at Leatherup.com. They have a reasonable selection of saddle bags. No racks required. These go over the seat.

You can also scratch around on Fleabay to possibly find a luggage rack specific for your bike. But that could take a while.

Took me a few months to find a luggage rack for my CXC scratchin' around on Fleabay. Finally, hit pay dirt with a forum member. I used the rack for a few months, decided I didn't like it, then passed it forward to Cory (aka Sweetbeats) for the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
If you go with none mounted bags be sure to ask for the measurements to make sure they don't touch the mufflers. I know of several people who mounted them without thinking of them hanging lower with weight in the bags where they ended up touching the mufflers and ruining the bags and the contents.

Krauser hard bags would probably give you the most capacity. You might also look into whitewater bags that are 100% waterproof to go on the seat behind you and double as a backrest if you are riding solo. If you aren't riding solo, you might look for a backrest with a rack to hold a dry bag for you. There is nothing worse than setting up camp and having wet clothes and a wet sleeping bag to crawl into even if it designed to be warm when wet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts