Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What riding gear do you recomend wearing?Helmet is a no brainer but what else is needed?I have not ridden since 1986 and need updates.Also can you recomend a safety course?Back when I was young and dumb I didn't need advice of course I ended up in the hospital with a broken leg(note to self:riding wheelies is not smart).Now that I'm an old geezer grandpa I need all the help and safety tips I can get.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I always ride with a Helmet,decent Semi-armoured gloves.Good boots and a Decent riding jacket that has Elbow protectors.I also have a pair of knee and hip padded leather riding pants.I don't always put these on but should.

My two most important pieces of gear are,"Anticipation" and,"Awareness"

My 10 penn'th

·
Registered
258 Posts
Check the Motorcycle Safety Foundation for a Beginner Rider's Course, or whatever they're calling it these days, at a community college near you. That's a good way to get re-introduced to riding with folks who will coach you into better habits.

Gear wise, I always wear, at minimum,a full-face helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots, in addition to my jeans. I have Firstgear overpants that I should wear more often, and I'll probably see about getting some mesh gear for the Carolina summertime. Dress for the slide, not the ride!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If it isn't way to hot I'll wear a hefty leather jacket, chaps, helmet because I have to, and 1/2 finger gloves. I hit a deer 1 1/2 yrs ago at about 65 and was wearing my leather jacket, and it was Nov in MI so it was cold as hell, so I didn't have chaps on, didn't own any yet either, but I had some military snow pants from the Airforce in Alaska, a gift from my Uncle, my 1/2 helmet, snowmobile gloves, and leather steel toed boots. My jacket held up rather well, I slid roughly 130 feet and had to rather small spots of road rash, maybe the size of a nickel on my elbow, and no road rash anywhere else either, and a helmet that looks brand new. I'm not too big into helmets, DOT means that it's guaranteed in a wreck up to 15 MPH, and if I'm doing 15 MPH I'll step off the bike... Not saying I guarantee they won't help, but I put more faith into my leathers than I do my helmet, speaking of which, I need a new jacket because my right sleeve is shredded.... Not sure if I'll go with an armored jacket or not, depends on what I can find and afford at the time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just remember ATGATT: All The Gear All The Time.

I ride in Texas and always wear full-face helmet, reinforced padded riding jacket, reinforced padded riding overpants, and gloves.

Stay safe.

STAN

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi there. In lieu of ever being able to afford an Aerostich suit, I have been happy with my cordura-like Tour Master Cortech jacket and Venture pants. They are padded (not really armored) and have kept me relatively toasty on my 45mile commute all winter here in Oregon. I also wear a white HJC half helmet that is probably a copy of old CHIPs head gear. I do own a full face HJC helmet for the coldest of rides, but I really prefer my half helmet for all riding above 35 degrees. My hearing is substantially better (maybe too loud) in the half helmet, but I feel much more connected and aware. I feel out of touch, like I am in a video game when I wear my full face. But maybe I'm weird. Almost forgot, I wear a pair of steel toed Redwing boots.

There was another thread started last week about 'clothing and visibility', and I am leaning toward the Safety Lime Green vest for my outfit. I feel my white helmet was a step in the right direction, but I don't feel deliberately conspicuous. There may be an issue with 'target fixation' for the neon enhanced rider....kind of like how soccer goalies are wear the brightest, gaudiest shirts to actually get the offense to kick the ball to them. However, the Lime vest certainly shows to everyone....police with radar guns, dumb drivers, the courts, that you are committed to safety.

Rambling complete. Nil

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just remember ATGATT: All The Gear All The Time.

I ride in Texas and always wear full-face helmet, reinforced padded riding jacket, reinforced padded riding overpants, and gloves.

Stay safe.

STAN

ATGATT. Attitudes vary between those who've been hurt and those who haven't. All of us are born with the sense that nothing will ever happen to us and it always happens to the other guy. Most of the time we're right about that, too. Sometimes we're not. I've survived two plane crashes and the last one cleaned my clock because although I had a seat belt on, I wasn't wearing the available shoulder strap. Stupid. I might have avoided many of the injuries I suffered and saved myself a life changing experience.

So when I ride, I'm one of the ATGATT guys. More than a lot of guys, really. Along with the usual fullface helmet, gloves, armored jacket and engineer's boots, I also wear kevlar lined pants with knee and hip pads underneath. The coldest or the hottest days; it doesn't matter. I don't ride without gear. In the summer I wear an armored mesh jacket, in the winter I wear an armored leather jacket. I always have kevlar between my legs and the road.

I am living proof, at least to myself, that it doesn't always happen to the other guy. It can happen to me, too. Or you.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
The basics should be

a helmet

a jacket of leather or textile with armor that has the ability to breath

and gloves with knuckle protectors and pads.

Pants are one hell of a suggestion and I have two pairs but I cant seem to convince myself to wear them all the time. I do know when the time comes if i'm not wearing them it's going to hurt like hell for weeks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Full face helmet always. They do more than just protect your brain. I don't like to think what my face would look like if I slammed into the back of a car/truck. I have two armoured jackets, both Fieldsheer, one mesh for right now until October and the other is nice and warm, plus the liner. Can't beat Fieldsheer I think. I wear Mechanix gloves just because that's what I wear and jeans and boots.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The basics should be

a helmet

a jacket of leather or textile with armor that has the ability to breath

and gloves with knuckle protectors and pads.

Pants are one hell of a suggestion and I have two pairs but I cant seem to convince myself to wear them all the time. I do know when the time comes if i'm not wearing them it's going to hurt like hell for weeks.

Yuh think?

As an orthopedic nurse, I've taken care of a fair number of these injuries. The patients generally complain more about the rash than the broken bones. I can take a hint.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Picture this first: Get on a pedal bike, going downhill at about 20 mph, in whatever gear you choose, , , , now jump off.

For me ALWAYS:

Full face helmet

Back Protector

Padded/Armoured Jacket

Motorcycle specific boots

Padded/Armoured gloves

For me ALMOST always:

perforated leather pants that zip together with my jacket

or

Padded/Armoured overpants (cold weather)

As to taking a course, MSF is probably a safe bet, or even do a private lesson or two just to practice and get good ideas.

In addition I will say this:

If you like going fast sometimes, do a track day with a beginner's class. What a blast and I feel it makes riding on the road much safer. Plus, the way you handle speed and scanning after it is like night and day.

Glad to hear you are open to input, as you said, we were all young and dumb once.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yuh think?

As an orthopedic nurse, I've taken care of a fair number of these injuries. The patients generally complain more about the rash than the broken bones. I can take a hint.

I'm sure your right about your hospital experience as I've had road rash that's a lot more unpleasant than anything else going on, but my guess with this guy is that was going pretty damn fast. And if stereotypes are correct, he was probably on a crotch rocket. That's what I always say when people look at me funny as if I'm about to die when I tell them I ride: statistics are on my side. I don't drink and ride, I don't have a large displacement bike. I wear a fullface helmet and mostly full gear and I don't speed. That said, I know I could go out and get hurt.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
My first bike was a big cc bike and people were worried, rightfully so, however, I always reminded them about this thing called self control and a throttle that actually limited the amount of HP hitting the wheel. That being said I would also wear a denim jacket thinking that was protection

Crotch rocket or cruiser, 30 mph sliding on your skin hurts!

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
David from Wisconsin's brother has a great oh my ass story about a guy who was riding and went down but sat in a way that the asphalt burned through his pants and started eating his ass. It also involved the police or medics having to hold a sheet out over him because the warm temps and hot sunlight decided it wanted to cook his ass too.

Pretty disturbing story if you hear it in the detail I did. So bad you could almost smell the burning flesh. Probably a great story around a bbq.

·
Registered
381 Posts
David from Wisconsin's brother has a great oh my ass story about a guy who was riding and went down but sat in a way that the asphalt burned through his pants and started eating his ass. It also involved the police or medics having to hold a sheet out over him because the warm temps and hot sunlight decided it wanted to cook his ass too.

Pretty disturbing story if you hear it in the detail I did. So bad you could almost smell the burning flesh. Probably a great story around a bbq.

Like the ghost stories the divemaster told while we were waiting for it to get dark for a night dive down in Grand Cayman. He was a talented storyteller and when it finally got dark, some people refused to get in the water. People like that probably have to sit to pee.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tips, will be ordering gear before riding.I raced dirt track stock cars for 20 years and learned you didn't need any safety gear until you needed it very badly.It became ingrained to never roll onto the track without all the gear even if you were just idling packing the track.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Perhaps this deserves a different thread, but have any of you guys gone down at higher speeds (30mph +)? I'm a "youngster" and I've gone down but not while going fast. A guy on a different bike forum said he went down on a fully dressed out HD doing 65 on the highway as someone cut him off and he claims he "knew how to go down properly" and only got a few small bruises as a result. Just would be curious to hear any stories, advice, etc? I'm guessing the MSF classes don't teach you how to go down properly, ha. I still haven't taken a class-- but I might.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Perhaps this deserves a different thread, but have any of you guys gone down at higher speeds (30mph +)? I'm a "youngster" and I've gone down but not while going fast. A guy on a different bike forum said he went down on a fully dressed out HD doing 65 on the highway as someone cut him off and he claims he "knew how to go down properly" and only got a few small bruises as a result. Just would be curious to hear any stories, advice, etc? I'm guessing the MSF classes don't teach you how to go down properly, ha. I still haven't taken a class-- but I might.
I'll look for the new thread, but yes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm also an ATGATT rider...... always.

If it gets way too dang hot to do that? I take the climate controlled minivan and crank up the A/C. That is why the gods invented freon.

Freedom to ride as you choose carries with it the personal responsibility for the outcome of your choices.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

I had a mishap at about 55 mph on a twisty road in NC years ago. The day was hot and I was on my way home from my job as a house carpenter, so I was wearing work boots, jeans, and a t-shirt, and a full face helmet. I was riding my Moto Guzzi 850T and really enjoying the ride, coming down Town Mountain road into Asheville from the BRP. I was just about scraping my pegs through a series of switchbacks when my front tire hit a round stone and the bike literally went out from under me, leaving me sliding down the rough blacktop. I call this weathered road surface "cheese grater" now. Think of a belt sander with 60 grit being applied with force against various body surfaces. I left a white skid mark for the 120' I slid down this road, and my instincts took over, resulting in severe road rash on my palms, knees, shoulders, back, hips, arms, everything except my feet and my head. I was just trying to keep the road from eating through to the bone in any one spot. I succeeded in that, but was in pain and bleeding badly and in the middle of nowhere on a lightly traveled road. Luckily a man about 1/2 mile down the road was gassing up his lawnmower and "thought he heard a crash" (probably my Guzzi crashing through the trees and rocks... it had cartwheeled off the road and down the mountain) and drove up to investigate. Also luckily he had a cooler of ice I used to cool my cut and burning hands on the way to the emergency room.

About "knowing how to go down properly" there are theories, there is luck, and there is experience and common sense. Common sense and experience tells me wearing the proper gear is a big part of coming out OK. My helmet and boots saved my head and feet. Had I been wearing proper gloves and jacket I would have avoided rash on 1/2 my body, wearing full gear including armored pants I would have avoided all injuries. Then there was my friend and fellow Guzzi enthusiast Walt who died a couple months later wearing full racing leathers, gloves, helmet and boots. He unfortunately went down on a wet curve and slid under a truck coming the other way. There wasn't an abrasion on him but death resulted from impact with the underside of the truck. Any object you slide into can cause injury as well; trees, signposts, rocks etc. Armor helps, but will not prevent all injuries. Speed is a factor for sure but another fellow rider fell over later that summer while riding about 3mph, hit his bare head on the pavement and died on the spot. He was helping a friend tune up his dirt bike and jumped on to test it out. He normally wore full leathers etc but not this time. So proper gear only works if you wear it. Knowing how to go down also helps if you are wearing the gear. Watch Moto GP riders going down and observe how they try to protect themselves by crossing their arms over their chests, clenching their fists etc. Hopefully none of us are going to need any of this, but shit happens. I have low sided several times on slippery roads in the last couple years, but was wearing the gear and was not hurt other than a few bruises. I now try to avoid ice!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts