Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Rebuilding front forks

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  maxwhite 
#1 ·
Hello, I am looking at rebuilding my front forks and had some questions. Main one is any recommendations on seals? I actually replaced the seals on these before and less than a year later they are leaking like crazy.

I was also wondering if anyone has done anything with the TRAC Anti-dive before. Last time I left it alone and was afraid to mess with it. I would like to rebuild it though as the dust covers are missing and I think they could use some attention. Issue I have is I don't know where I can find any parts or even replacements for those dust covers. Anyone have any advice on what I should plan on doing to rebuild these forks properly? Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Machinsin,

Sorry you have had no replies on this! I think fork work is something most us of do just to fix a leak and move on. In my build thread I covered some of this, but here goes my limited experience. Seal leaks are caused by several things -

1) dirt or excessive force combo (i.e. - MX bikes doing jumps)
2) Worn bushings. You have 2 per tube
3) Filling with the improper weight oil / Wrong level / Excessive fluid will cause higher than normal pressures/early bottoming. I went with PJ1 15W
4) Excessive air (air in forks is just poor engineering)
5) Pitted/ non true/dented or rust tubes / use a magnifying glass. If your bike sat for few years, I can guarantee there is some pitting.
6) improper seal installation - wrong driver/ excessive force

In your case, I am predicting your bushings need replacement. These are available still - but require a complete teardown. Factory seals are generally considered reliable, but I have used others without issue. . If you want to go full out - look at the Racetech website and their gold emulator kits. OMG. My bike NEVER handled like it does now after installing those. They disable the anti dive feature which is worthless anyway. I also eliminated the air in my forks. Again see my thread. If your fork tubes are toast - and I would bet they are not perfect- There are new ones available for 170 dollars a piece from Racetech. I bought mine there. Once you go Racetech - you will never go back.

Electronics
Pipe Steel

Check out my pitted tubes after 21 yrs of storage in a cold garage..
Cylinder Auto part

The bushing seals for the anti dive are still available and easy to change
Auto part

#3 ·
You sound like someone who would know the answer to my question. I bought a GL500 with only 14K+ miles. Forks leak. I don't want to remove the fairing to replace the Honda seals I bought. Can I just remove the bottom part of the fork and replace the seals. Local dealer didn't have dust seals in stock but am considering ordering some. Thanks for any advice for a newbie to forum. --max

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.