Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, So I'm going through the decision process of whether to rebuild my engine or not, I'm leaning towards no. So before the winter I bought 2 cx500's a 79 and 81 neither of which were running, nothing seemingly wrong with them just nothing attached to the motors to make them run, both had missing carbs as well as other stuff. I looked them over and chose the better looking of the two drained it through some new oil and a little lucas engine restore in it and plopped it in the shed. Now that I'm starting back up I'm trying to figure out what it needs, the only thing I know that is wrong with it is the stator coil wires coming out of the engine are sheared through so I need to replace that and am looking at putting a g8 in there since it needs replacing anyway and a ray san. Apart from that I don't know or even really where to begin to tell if anything is mechanically wrong with the engine itself. I manually cranked it and both cylinders have compression but it hasn't been measured, when I drained the oil it was dark but there didn't seem to be any metal flakes in it I don't hear anything when cranking it with the ratchet the old tach that was attached to that bike said around 50k but I don't know the accuracy of that. It is currently dropped and sitting by its lonesome. Should I just look into starting a triple bypass since I need to do that stator anyway, should I see if I can somehow bench test it to see if it runs as is, should I send it out to have it professionally rebuilt? I think my current plan was to put the new carbs I have on there figure out how to bench test it and then maybe look at replacing things a la triple bypass I'd rather not send it out to be rebuilt unless I open it up and see something seriously wrong with it like pitted cylinders or something and even then it just might not be worth it. If anybody could even point me in the right direction to start looking that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok So if I look in there with a borescope and it looks clean, and then do the leak test and say I get standard leakage, should I try and turn the starter over to do a compression test as well? Then if its good just leave as much of it alone as possible? still move ahead with the triple bypass? what if it has substantial leakage time to send it out or time to find a new motor, would that depend on the percentage of the cylinder leaks?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Airacaz,

I live in East Windsor, so I'm just a few miles from you. PM me your number and I'll be happy to swing by and take a look if you'd like a second set of eyes. As Murray says, if it'll turn over, chances are that it'll run. There are a bunch of things you'll need to do, but these engines are very robust...

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts