Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, hate to ask this question. But I have a front wheel off a (I think) 82 CX 650 Turbo front wheel and fork combo. The forks have been almost completely rebuilt, however the front wheel rim has seen way better days. What I want to do is get the front wheel anodized. I found a place to do it with little trouble, what they are asking me to do is dis-assemble the front wheel completely. I am a little hesitant to attempt this, not sure how this will affect balance, how to re-assemble, etc. Has anyone done this before?

I have thought about it long and hard, and want some input. Preferable from people who have done it, looking for suggestions or thoughts if I decided to do this crazy undertaking. Or do I need to just deal with a faded wheel rather than trying to re-paint or do something stronger.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks neighbor, I couldn't find that post for the life of me when I was looking earlier. I am leaning more towards trying it and seeing what happens. I have rust on the inside and like the idea of anodized the front wheel. I will give it a shot and see how it turns out for me. All I will be out is a wheel if it craps out, this rebuild has taken way longer than I planned anyway LOL.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I would not hesitate to dismantle one of those wheels for cleaning, painting or whatever the need.
Common sense and good judgement will get you by and this will turn out good.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,014 Posts
Dan topping used to dismantle 17" turbo wheels and make them 18" wheels. I know he's on facebook. I think he had sourced the rivets/nuts to do the job.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,014 Posts
Hello, hate to ask this question. But I have a front wheel off a (I think) 82 CX 650 Turbo front wheel and fork combo. The forks have been almost completely rebuilt, however the front wheel rim has seen way better days. What I want to do is get the front wheel anodized. I found a place to do it with little trouble, what they are asking me to do is dis-assemble the front wheel completely. I am a little hesitant to attempt this, not sure how this will affect balance, how to re-assemble, etc. Has anyone done this before?

I have thought about it long and hard, and want some input. Preferable from people who have done it, looking for suggestions or thoughts if I decided to do this crazy undertaking. Or do I need to just deal with a faded wheel rather than trying to re-paint or do something stronger.
Do you mind telling who and how much they quoted?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts