Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I’m getting pretty close to where I’d like to be on my CX/GL 500 whatever it is! It’s for sure a GL engine, but I’ve been told maybe a CX frame. If anyone can help me discern what it is I’d be pretty grateful. I‘d really like to get a little more comfort for my lower nuggets so I want to put on a set of rearsets. The only ones I seem to find are for a CX not a GL and don’t want to pull the trigger unless I know they will fit.
Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
20,542 Posts
Yep. Your bike is a 79 CX 500D. The PCO1 followed by a number beginning in 4 says that.

The bits of the rear horns I wanted to see have been cut, but the plate says it all.

Just out of interest {since the engine has GL bages} what is the engine number? {hash out the last few digits if you wish}

·
Super Moderator
13,730 Posts
If you look carefully in the first pic you can see the rear upper engine hangers that bolt to the engine's rear cover. GL500s don't have that. At first glance that would indicate that either you have a CX500 engine that someone has changed the badges on or that someone has replaced the original engine with one from a GL but used the CX engine's rear cover so that they could retain the bike's Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI) instead of making all of the wiring mods that would be required to convert to the Transistor Amplifier Ignition (TAI or TI) that the GL would have come equipped for and didn't bother to change the badges.

The link below indicates that your engine is from a 1982 GL500 or GL500I. There are virtually no differences between the CX500 and GL500 engines except for the rear cover and ignition so for all intents & purposes you have a CX500.

·
Super Moderator
13,730 Posts
As I said, whoever installed the GL engine used the CX rear cover (you can see the boss where the hangers bolt to it in the first pic), probably so they could retain the CDI instead of changing the wiring.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I just put a motor out of a cx500 in my gl500. Of course I changed the rear cover and all ignition to keep the same ti ignition but I did leave the Honda motor tags on the cx engine as a tribute and thank you to the cx for its sacrifice for my gl.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts