Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to build my own rear comstar, but I also want to try to fab a disc rear brake at the same time. I was wondering if anyone had any ways to tell if any other comstar wheels would match the final drive of our CX's? I was looking at the gl1100 wheel as it is shaft drive but still has the disc brake.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Couldn't you just use the CX500 spline and mate it to the GL1100? It would probably take some machine work, if the GL1100 is a five bolt pattern I'd bet it could be made to work? I gave that a thought back when I first began my rear disc idea. The part I don't care for is the GL 1100 rear rotor was larger than I liked so I went a different route.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mmm, might be able to grind the O.D. of the disc of the GL1100 to make it somewhat smaller. Not sure if your looking to get it to the CX500 O.D.size??

A lot of the shaft bikes used the same 5 pin spline until they started using the 6 pin. The major differences were the "distance collars" from bike to bike. These were used in diffenert lengths for different widths of bike final drive units.

LT2

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couldn't you just use the CX500 spline and mate it to the GL1100?
I was thinking this might work. I guess I am going to have to try it out and see how it works. I didn't even think about the disc being bigger though.... I am going to have to bolt it on and see if it looks funky.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of the shaft bikes used the same 5 pin spline until they started using the 6 pin. The major differences were the "distance collars" from bike to bike. These were used in diffenert lengths for different widths of bike final drive units.

I was hoping this was the case. Maybe there is some hope then!

·
Registered
164 Posts
GL1100 might be your answer and maybe using another model's disc (V-65 Sabre???). Can understand wanting disc's brake front/back...but it's a lot of hassle for just a slight increase in braking power/stoppage. I'd spend more effort getting the front stopping power increased... but that's just me.

LT2

·
Registered
851 Posts
EMT, I have a spare hub only from my CX500. I removed rim and spokes to make another rear disc brake conversion. The bolt circle on the splined 'spider' is 110mm and the 5 bolts are 10mm diameter. The height of the splined part is 21mm as far as I can tell. The bolt circle of my new Suzuki rotor is also 110mm and no offset, that is the beauty of my conversion, use parts that match and you'll have much less work and a cleaner result. I didn't want what the Brits call a "lash up" and we call a "cobble job" . If you can find the dimensions of the corresponding GL 1100 part you will have your answer?

Cheers, 50gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.