Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
F##@*@ing Israeli roads!!

I slammed into a pot-hole and bent my rear wheel. :( :(

Do you guys know if it is possible to fix? Bend it back? Or would it crack?

Anyone has a rear wheel for sale?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Israel must export those to rest of world. We have some in Oz also. I saw a 650e silver boomerang rear wheel on ebay.com.au but i dare say too far?

·
Registered
409 Posts
The official text from Honda in various locations says they are not to be repaired, ever. But considering the ingenuity on display in this very forum, you may hear whispers to the contrary.

Please be advised that Honda used the exact, identical front wheel rim on many, many, MANY bikes, BUT, since the front wheel is always designated as an ASSEMBLY in the parts diagramme of each bike, often with a different overall part number, that true interchangeability is obscured. The difference between one assembly and another tends to be in the bearings and collars, not the rims themselves. At least this theory of mine has proven true in my mix-and-match quest for front end parts. My point is you may purchase a wheel for an entirely different bike, but still find (as long as it takes the same size tires) the rim-and-spoke assembly is an exact replacement for you. Think about it like Honda Motor Corporation: They shoved aside British manufacturers going into the 1970s precisely because they could construct bikes on economies of scale, and that was because they so often re-used identical parts. They would resist creating variants wherever possible.

Close ties between New York City and Israel. We are kept well-supplied, too...

... It JUST occurred to me this is how some very bad things start... um...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I've been there .

y
get a replacement for anything worse than a ding or take it to a pro

having said that a an aquaintence of mine had a bent front.............. ball peened it mostly straight and ran it

like that for many miles (I would have scrapped) or at least found a rim only and repaired (this should turn the thread into

a can of worms) (lots of people have sucsessfully done this) I for 1 and ridden a modded custom front for years

thousands of miles no problems.

google it. there are threads about this somewhere on this site .

Honda used to sell a rivit kit (NLA) for GL1000

how many cx-gl are there in Isreal ? Likely very few

Good luck. C.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
500 or 650? What color wheel?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Israel must export those to rest of world. We have some in Oz also. I saw a 650e silver boomerang rear wheel on ebay.com.au but i dare say too far?

Yeah... we're good at exporting stuff. You'd expect that in a small state with pretty steady weather they would know how to build roads that last... but no.. pot holes are everywhere. Even on relatively new roads.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They can be realigned and bent back to a degree, just depends on how badly it was damaged. Picture would help.
Not too bad... I'll post pictures shortly. I saw on the tube that some heat and wooden molds along with strong wise could unbend the bend. Is that the best way? Does this mean I'll have to repaint it after wards?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is actually a very good idea. The rim on the CX500TC is held by crews to the spokes. Maybe that's exactly what I need to find!
It does say on these screws "do not unscrew", but, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Thanks for the advice.

The official text from Honda in various locations says they are not to be repaired, ever. But considering the ingenuity on display in this very forum, you may hear whispers to the contrary.

Please be advised that Honda used the exact, identical front wheel rim on many, many, MANY bikes, BUT, since the front wheel is always designated as an ASSEMBLY in the parts diagramme of each bike, often with a different overall part number, that true interchangeability is obscured. The difference between one assembly and another tends to be in the bearings and collars, not the rims themselves. At least this theory of mine has proven true in my mix-and-match quest for front end parts. My point is you may purchase a wheel for an entirely different bike, but still find (as long as it takes the same size tires) the rim-and-spoke assembly is an exact replacement for you. Think about it like Honda Motor Corporation: They shoved aside British manufacturers going into the 1970s precisely because they could construct bikes on economies of scale, and that was because they so often re-used identical parts. They would resist creating variants wherever possible.

Close ties between New York City and Israel. We are kept well-supplied, too...

... It JUST occurred to me this is how some very bad things start... um...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
y
get a replacement for anything worse than a ding or take it to a pro

having said that a an aquaintence of mine had a bent front.............. ball peened it mostly straight and ran it

like that for many miles (I would have scrapped) or at least found a rim only and repaired (this should turn the thread into

a can of worms) (lots of people have sucsessfully done this) I for 1 and ridden a modded custom front for years

thousands of miles no problems.

google it. there are threads about this somewhere on this site .

Honda used to sell a rivit kit (NLA) for GL1000

how many cx-gl are there in Isreal ? Likely very few

Good luck. C.
Thanks for the advice. I'll do search for the rims only option.
As far as I know I am the only CX500TC in Israel. I haven't seen any other CX/GLs around either, but I guess there are some. We have lots of goldwings, which is funny, as the country over all is no more than 2 hours ride in each direction...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
500 or 650? What color wheel?
CX500TC, beautiful original gold.. unfaded, unscratched, shiny and lovely gold.... and I ruined it. Dang pot holes.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Okay, so you bent a boomerang.
I know for a fact that they can be repaired, as I had GP Frame & Wheel fix one of mine that had excessive run-out, and a flat spot.
He said it was a pain in the ass, but he got it to within Honda spec.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was talking to someone last weekend who repaired a back wheel rim using a bit of heat and a soft hammer, presumably a plastic one.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oh... gold... Turbo...

I'm a little dense a lotta the time. But you do have my good luck wishes.

Reactions: oshoshan

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can use NS Comstar Wheel. Though you need to disassemble both the wheels.

thumb_IMG_5613_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_5605_1024.jpg

I have unused 650 wheel which is silver.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here is what I have: CX650TC unused rear wheel.
thumb_IMG_5667_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_5668_1024.jpg
in daylight
thumb_IMG_5669_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_5670_1024.jpg

1 - 20 of 47 Posts