Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost done getting my wheels put back together.

I have run into one snag... I dont know how far to tighten the rear wheel bearing retainer. Does it fit flush with the hub? Just until its snug? Is there a torque setting?

Any photos or suggestions would be appreciated. Would love to get this bike back on the road this weekend.

Thanks

Dennis

1979 CX500C

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Yeah you should be able to just tighten it down. I think it goes flush with the rim so it doesn't bind on anything.

gotta look up this pin wrench.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wrench is ok. It is working better going in then coming out. Had to use a drift to knock the retainer loose. But it has been on the bike for 32 years.

Dennis

1979 Honda CX500C

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The adjustment/lock nut doesn't hold real well, so it kept rotating out of spec while I was taking the retainer out.

But it also can be used to tighten buffer wheels so its got multiple uses

Dennis

1979 CX500C

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Maybe replace the nut and bolt for a real one and tighten it with a wrench. I wonder what grinder is similar to our wheels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the assistance. Turned out I installed the left side first. Needed to start with the right side with the retainer. Bearings are in, wheel is on. Now I need to get the front wheel installed. Hope to ride by Monday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.