Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm finalizing my caferacer project, but I have some doubts about the alignment of my rear wheel. On the right side the wheel is much closer to the swing arm than at the left side. the difference is about 1/2 inch. the locknut at the right side of the rear wheel axle is completely fixed at max torque.

right side picture

left side picture

maybe a related item : the axle of the rear wheel : the distance from the swingarm to the collar is 27mm. is there a spacer necessary at the right side to make the alignment better? Is 27mm a normal distance?

thanks

tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don’t have the answer but am curious to hear from this who know because I have the same issue with my bitsa build. I have mated a GL700 wheel to a CX650 euro swing arm/frame. The spacer May be too long as I have used a CX650 Euro spacer. On the other hand, the wheel on my bike looks aligned to the frame.:)

·
Registered
879 Posts
My rear wheel is also off centre about 1/2". I checked with another member with a 650E and he found the same thing so I believe this is normal.

·
Super Moderator
14,122 Posts
The driveshaft has to run very close to straight back from the engine's final shaft to the final drive and that side of the swingarm (right on these bikes) needs to be wider than the empty side so the clearance between the tire and that side of the arm is as small as reasonable. The empty side is not only narrower but farther from the centreline to allow room between the end of it and the final drive for the wheel to be removed. Combined, these make it look like the wheel is offset to the right but if you check from the centreline of the frame I think you will discover that the wheel is actually offset to the left a bit.

Lots of motorcycles have the rear wheel offset to allow clearance for a shaft or belt drive, some to the left and some to the right and it doesn't seem to affect the handling as long as the wheel is parallel to the centreline of the frame.

FWIW, the distance between the inner side of the swingarm and the brake plate on mine (GL500 swingarm and brake plate, CX500 wheel and final drive) is approx. 43mm. (I am unclear where you are measuring). The location of the right side of the wheel is set by a distance collar inside the final drive that the wheel's bearing sits against when the axle nut is done up.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
The swingarm is not symmetrical. So, judging alignment that way isn't a good test.
Wouldn't it make more sense to check the alignment of the rear wheel with the front?

EJ

·
Super Moderator
14,122 Posts
As I said, the rear is supposed to be offset. Many motorcycles are designed that way for very good reasons. A properly aligned rear wheel will be parallel with the frame's centreline and whether the centre of the tire is on that centreline is irrelevant I did some searching online and found that some bikes come from the factory with up to an inch of offset to allow a wide tire to clear the chain/belt/shaft.

It is hard to tell if the rear is aligned with the front because the front turns side to side (not to mention that the front tire is narrower). In many cases it will be possible to set a straight edge along the side of a misaligned (not parallel to the frame centreline) rear and have the front steered just enough for them to appear to be inline and even look like they are centred even though the rear is offset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts