Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:1

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be interesting....I've had the cheap Kendras. Have averaged 4k miles on the 2 rears I've had so far so the front has 8k on it and looks like it is still ok.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The combo I always recommend has both tires basically wear out at the same time and gives 14-28K per set of tires with rubber left on them when changed. One friend had over 20K on them.

Also, there is no tire squirm on grooved pavement and very little on cheese grater bridges.

Metzler:

Lasertech - V on the front

ME88 or 880 - H on the rear

The 88 is for the '78s and the 880 is for all the rest.

Maybe someone who I recommended these tires to will throw in their two cents.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,119 Posts
I've got about 6k on my Dunlop 404s, and I expect I'll get that much again before they need replacing. They appear to be wearing evenly.

R

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Generally speaking 2 rears to 1 front.

However, when I am sport riding, it can very easily be 1-1 because of the stresses on the front tire.

The tread depth itself looks fine, but at the base of the tread pattern, I have seen, on more than one occasion, stress tearing that can lead to catastrophic failure if pushed to the limit.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I have 13,000 on my Bridgestone spitfire s11 rear and still lots of life left. The fronts don't seem to wear much but get changed when the tire is to old to be usefull.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I've changed tires twice in the 7+ yrs I've had my bike, the first time when I bought the bike at 7K on the clock. The last Dunlop (don't recall model) rear was still usable, but getting pretty down there last March, so that would be 17K miles on that set. Both times I've replaced front at the same time regardless the wear on the front. I may change that in the future to 2:1, but only time will tell.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I do know I won't be buying Kendras again.....I put the rear one that's on their now the same exact time last year and 4k miles later it's SHOT ! I got back from a ride Sunday nite and just looked down and could see the inners of the tire in a couple spots

Even though the front looks like it has some life in it I'll probably replace it too.

Obviously I'm not gonna ride it ANYWERE at all as bad as the rear is now....I'll either wait and trailer it to Blue Fox's house after Labor Day and we'll do it along with my head bearings or if I get itchy and just HAVE TO RIDE before then I'll take the wheels off and take just them to a dealer to mount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.