Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on rebuilding my forks and going with 20W Belray, which from what I hear should stiffen them up a bit.

Is there a comparable solution to stiffening up the rear? Or maybe just some good shocks to upgrade to that aren't crazy expensive?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
It depends what you want out of those good shocks. Mine do just fine on the top preload but other people complain about stock shocks.

The expensive way is Progressive shocks.

Some have had early goldwing air shocks fitted and liked them. Some are on ebay for cheap but some aren't.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
eBay, look for Sportster shocks. Better to search by length. I found a set of used ones for next to nothing compared to new price. There are a couple of threads on here and the old board about shock replacement, some listers have had excellent results with early Goldwing air shocks too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could try the one's from JC whitney or ebay, nameless brand but they have a dual spring set up and cost about $90 for a pair. I have a set and they work pretty well, a bit stiff at first but for 2 up riding they'd work very well I think.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjustable-shocks-and-springs-mc/p2007058.jcwx?filterid=c51023j3

I actually have those. The previous owner threw them in with the bike. They look to be shorter then the stock ones when I compare them. I suppose if they're stiffer then they may work.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I had adjustable Koni shocks on my 79cx way back when. I see now IKON makes them model 7610-1412 for over $300!

I have a pair of KONI 7610-1412 on one of my bikes. Also have a pair of the same , never used, still in their box. I´ve also hamstered some pairs of the same model, for use sometime when I feel for it. They turn up now and then on eBay Germany. They still fetch some money.

I can´t say anything negative about them. They outperform the standard shocks by lengths - roadholding, as well as handling heavy loads. I´ve never had mine bottom out. I just sold a nice pair (near new condition) to a fellow Swedish CX owner.

Sture

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a set of harley air touring shocks that I love. Fully adjustable and you float over potholes.

12 1/2" eye to eye. Got them off craigslist for $30. Gotta love craigslist.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Can I set it so that it rubs and sets off a siren if the girl is over 150lbs?

I bet you could. Might be as simple as hooking up the reverse of a door open alarm. But you might want it to be an light instead of an alarm. Hell maybe you could hook up one of those voltmeters so that you could get a quick read on the subject.

Just reverse colors around. Green means go, Yellow means proceed with caution and red means I must be drunk.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I think you should set your sensor so that if a chick is over your predetermined limit your ignition will not fire.

Then even if your drunk you have a good excuse!

Its just a thought...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, so to update this thread. I put the above mentioned shocks on the bike and have been riding it around for a month.

These:

They're VERY stiff. So stiff that when the girlfriend and I ride 2-up, we both get catapulted off the seat over bumps and inconsistencies. It's come to me shouting out "UP" every time I see something that would require us to hover.

The stock shocks were too soft, and these are too stiff. I'd like to keep the bike a bit lower then stock, yet still have that comfort and performance of semi-firm shocks. Or adjustable damping shocks even.

Is there anything out there that fits these requirements and won't break the bank?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Crank up the preload and see what you get. Then don't ride with fat chicks. The shocks can only go down so far.

You know what they say about fat chicks and scooters. The punchline might be too crass for this forum, so I'll leave it at that...

·
Registered
851 Posts
Alright, so to update this thread. I put the above mentioned shocks on the bike and have been riding it around for a month.

These:

They're VERY stiff. So stiff that when the girlfriend and I ride 2-up, we both get catapulted off the seat over bumps and inconsistencies. It's come to me shouting out "UP" every time I see something that would require us to hover.

The stock shocks were too soft, and these are too stiff. I'd like to keep the bike a bit lower then stock, yet still have that comfort and performance of semi-firm shocks. Or adjustable damping shocks even.

Is there anything out there that fits these requirements and won't break the bank?

I didn't want to post before but I removed my stock shocks because they were virtually rigid. I also think the 20Wt fork oil is too heavy. Damper rod forks will hydro lock on what is called square bumps. The oil is too heavy to flow through the small orifices so it locks with a hard thud. The next time you're behind a motorcycle watch his rar wheel as he goes of even small bumps say an average railroad track or raod seams, the bike usually skips over bumps and gets small air, that's a bad suspension at work not being in contact with the road is a low level of traction. The bike should feel plush.the Sportster shock looks to have very heavy diameter wire, just measure the diameter of the wire with your calipers and that should give an approximation of the stiffness compared to the stock CX springs?

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The 20W oil actually feels great up front. It's a bit stiffer then stock but still on the plush side.

If motorcycle springs are like car springs, which I assume they are, then the diameter of the spring wire isn't really a tell tale sign. Spring wire diameter can be the same thickness and come in a wide range of compression rates. With cars, it's a lot easier to get specs on these things though. The motorcycle world is a bit of a guessing game with these things it seems. Brand-less, spec-less, products are everywhere and used frequently. I've never made so many purchasing decisions based solely on word of mouth

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.