Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm going to swap out the 34 year old shocks on my bike soon and I'm wondering what options people have gone with? I'm not interesting in breaking the bank or having the worlds best setup either so anything custom is probably out of the picture.

I've seen a bit of stuff from a brand called JBS which appears to be budget but I suspect that it's likely still an upgrade from the pattern shocks.

Here's a link Looks like they're an aussie brand too.

Anyone have any experience with these? Looks like they're aussie too

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ebay 320-330mm eye to eye shocks you will find some that say RFY on the reservoir and have an air assist. Ive been told by guys that have them that they work quite well and they won't break the bank. The price runs around the 80$ USD plus shipping. Good luck I still have to get some for myself so if you come up with a better option Id love to see it so I can copy you lol. Great work so far.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ebay 320-330mm eye to eye shocks you will find some that say RFY on the reservoir and have an air assist. Ive been told by guys that have them that they work quite well and they won't break the bank. The price runs around the 80$ USD plus shipping. Good luck I still have to get some for myself so if you come up with a better option Id love to see it so I can copy you lol. Great work so far.
Cheers mate, I'm thinking of giving these guys a go, it's not a huge investment if it doesn't work out and valuable info for anyone else.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Another "rear shocks" question, relating to my bike:

OK, so I believe the standard eye to eye measurement should be 320mm.

What I get when measuring from eye to eye, while the shocks are fitted to the bike, is 325mm, and I noted that this is what other's also get.

So the 2 questions are:
1) if I buy new aftermarket shocks, that are 320mm eye to eye, would it even fit on my bike, since my current distance is 325mm, with probably already worn springs that are softer or shorter than speck??

2) Can I basically buy new shocks that measures 320 or 325mm?

Thanx!:cool:

·
Registered
400 Posts
According to the YSS database, the 78-86 CX500 models used a 330mm ETE length pair of shocks as did the 81-83 CX400; the GL bikes (monoshock) used a shorter shock.

If you go with RFY shock consider having them rebuilt even though they are new out of the box. You can read up on the shocks and service available from Chris here: RFY Shocks Rebuild Service

On most of their shocks, the lower clevis is adjustable for length. I believe the CX500 had a rake of 26.5 degrees and trail of 100mm (3.9"). Those are very good numbers producing a nice balanced ride (balance of reasonable quickness and stability). As a point of comparison, the 5 year newer Honda Hawk GT (88-91) had a rake of 27 degrees and trail of 4.4". So, you wouldn't want to use a shorter shock because you will loose some of the qualities in the original design. If you are going to use a different length, I would err on slightly longer (335mm vs 325mm). A 340mm shock might be a tad too long, a 330mm shock could be lengthened to 335mm.

The spring will be a two rate spring. I bought a pair of 340mm and 320mm shock when experimenting on my Aprilia SC250. I needed the 340mm length but the spring was way to stiff for the 340 lbs scooter (wet weight) so I ran the 320 spring on the 340 shock. In hindsight, it would have been better to have bought the 340 and aftermarket springs. You didn't indicate what your riding weight was...?

On damping, you will not have any adjustability, but if you get Chris to service the shock, he can put the weight oil you want in the shock. The remote reservoir (when properly pressurized) will ensure the damping stays consistent.

Hope this helped.

Jerry

·
Registered
800 Posts
Cheers mate, I'm thinking of giving these guys a go, it's not a huge investment if it doesn't work out and valuable info for anyone else.
For anyone else considering the cheep RFY's, they actually provide a decent ride even with my 200 lb butt in the saddle . I believe I did need to fiddle with different bushings to get them to fit.

The Blue Thing.jpg

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I had some - too hard riding for me . Took them off and fitted some Konis instead - vastly better ride.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Nice info thanx. I couldn't find the correct length shock indicated in any of my dloaded manuals. I learnt on this site that standard size is 320.

I weigh 65kg..which is 143 pounds.

Are we thus saying that phaps its better to buy the 325mm shocks...as appose to the 320mm ?? It seems so,.
I would like to not fiddle with the normal riding height...plus I will be leaving the plastic black under fender on in anyway..so def no altering to ride height.

·
Registered
800 Posts
BTW, As shown in the above photo those are the 320mm/12.5" drive angle remains within acceptable limits and no interference with rear fender.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Another quick (and noob) question:

Can I remove "both" my rear shocks, and leave the bike standing like that for a day or 2...without any issues?
Will the rear drop to the extent that the tire and the mud guard / fender meet each other..lol..?

I need to have the existing shock springs compressed, disassembled and measured, before deciding on new shocks, and I am hoping to have it done simultaneously, by removing both shocks.

Thanx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts