Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have recently purchased a ‘79 CX500 that no longer has a centre stand. I want to get into the drum breaks but haven’t been able to find any suggestions on a suitable rear paddock stand as the drum offers that wonderful a-symmetry.
Any advice or recommendations would be excellent and hugely appreciated.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
23,057 Posts
Unless the stand mount has been cut from the frame the simplest method is to slip the factory stand onto the bike for servicing.

What I have is the stand and a stand pin cut in half with a washer welded to the end that has no flange.

With the bike on the sidestand I slip the stand into place and slip in a half pin from either side. The half pins can be got in and out with twin pipes fitted.

Pull the bike onto the stand as normal. Spring not needed.

I not only do servicing etc on these but have built whole bikes from the frame up. Just need forks and a front wheel.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Unless the stand mount has been cut from the frame the simplest method is to slip the factory stand onto the bike for servicing.

What I have is the stand and a stand pin cut in half with a washer welded to the end that has no flange.

With the bike on the sidestand I slip the stand into place and slip in a half pin from either side. The half pins can be got in and out with twin pipes fitted.

Pull the bike onto the stand as normal. Spring not needed.

I not only do servicing etc on these but have built whole bikes from the frame up. Just need forks and a front wheel.
You're assuming that iamdanoj actually has a stand to put on in the first place!

·
Super Moderator
23,057 Posts
A used stand may be easier to source than a paddock stand, bobbins etc that will fit the application.

Either way you'd be on the hunt.

Lots of people removing stands.

Some regret moving them on.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have been using a paddock stand the past year. Works very well.

Crankset Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle brake Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Light Automotive tire

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
110 Posts
this will work for ever and its stable to use

Toy Tool Lego Automotive exterior Aircraft

Reactions: bobnstuff

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently asked a similar question, you could use the idea that wyn64 used but this does not allow the rear wheel to be removed.
I followed the direction of this post

They used some longer bolts and a coupling bolt to attach it to the shock mounts.
Hopefully this helps

·
Registered
322 Posts
Did you have to modify those bobbins at all? All I hear is that nobody can get bobbins to fit.
The bobbins are stock standard. I drilled the axle on both sides and tapped thread (8mm) for the two high tensile bolts of the bobbins. There is very little weight on the stand... it is very easy to lift and remove (a one man operation).

Reactions: CXPHREAK
1 - 9 of 9 Posts