Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 cx500c Heres the question. Driving last night I noticed that the rear lights on the turn indicator had no parking lights. All I have is the stop light and the center parking light. Are the bullets supposed to light up?

·
Registered
100 Posts
While we are on the topic, does anyone know what color the rear blinkers are supposed to be? I ask because my bike came with some trashed yellow ones, and I found and installed one newer one, but they are red. Nobody has pulled me over or said anything yet. Does the color matter, or is it just that they work?

·
Registered
835 Posts
My understanding, is that the rear lights don't have an 'always on' position, because there is an accepted standard that the rear lights that remain on will be red. The orange lights indicating direction are fine, as would be red lights indicating direction. Since your's are red, you should be allowed to hook them up as running lights too.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You can easily modify the wiring to make them light up at half brightness without affecting the turn signal operation.

Simply put a zener diode from the hot wire going to the existing tail lamp over to the hot wire leading to the rear blinker, one for each side. The anode end (no band) goes to the tail lamp and the end with the cathode band (has a marking band) goes to the hot wire of the turn signal bulb.

What you'd be doing is taking the 12V from the conventional stop light, reducing that voltage to about half then applying it to the rear turn signal lamps.

Any zener diode between 5V - 7V (obviously the higher the voltage used the dimmer they'll run as running lamps) will do this but they should be rated for at least 3W, 5W is better.

Good candidates are;

1N5338 5.1V 5W

1N5339 5.6W 5W

1N5340 6.0V 5W

1N5341 6.2V 5W

1N5342 6.8V 5W

1N5343 7.5V 5W

all of these are listed as 0.36 each on Mouser.

Your turn signal lamps will be dimly illuminated but come back to full brightness whenever you actuate the turn signal flasher.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Although I like Marshalls effort if I really wanted the rear to glow I would replace them with dual filament turn signals from the front and probably tap the second wire into the brake running wire.

The lights should be amber.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, just a thought that would work if someone really desired it.

I'm just going to add a couple of extra red LEDs around the rear somewhere, I'm also adding this setup that has the red LED + strobe in tiny pods on the rear.

I'll have to build a circuit such that it will only strobe red for a few flashes when I first apply the brakes then go off until the next time you brake.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the help. I like blindstitchs idea of just changing to a dual bulb and wiring to the existing rear parking light. Im going to give it a try next week. Will keep ya posted and again thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.