Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am looking for the rear fender reflector. While it doesn't show on the schematics for NOS parts sellers, I have a hole in the fender for one. I prefer the original that I believe has a shaped/slanted back for correct fit.
Does anyone have one for sale, or know where I can get one.
Thanks, Darren in Portland

·
Registered
1978 CX500
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking for a rear fender reflector
Darren in Portland

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Looking for a rear fender reflector
Darren in Portland
Just the reflector or the mounting?
if not forthcoming I managed to cut one (the lens) for another bike using a glass cutter and a reflector bought at a auto store ($2?)......

·
Registered
1978 CX500
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I easily found an orange round reflector with a chrome surround on Ebay for a low price, but was hoping for an original in good condition.
I'm am restoring to as close to stock as possible for a 43 year old motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Hi all, I am looking for the rear fender reflector. While it doesn't show on the schematics for NOS parts sellers, I have a hole in the fender for one. I prefer the original that I believe has a shaped/slanted back for correct fit.
Does anyone have one for sale, or know where I can get one.
Thanks, Darren in Portland
BTW...are you sure the hole is for a reflector?....many of these bikes just had a rubber plug in them on the rear guard if its the one I'm thinking of......

for USA its item 12

·
Registered
1978 CX500
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply bahn88

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
there is a reflector on the "mudflap"...maybe thats what you're referring to...I see it in the 1981 listing parts booklet now....:rolleyes:....good luck with the find

View attachment 207664
The 'mudflap' you refer to is the plate that, in some markets (mostly UK and Europe models), the numberplate (and reflector) attaches to. The reflector and its back are flat.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,191 Posts
Can you show an example? My '78 has no reflector on the rear fender, other than what's incorporated into the taillight. Certainly not a round yellow one.
Do you mean the turn signal diffuser?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,191 Posts
There might have been a rear facing reflector on the CX in some markets, but your US spec Standard wouldn't have had one.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
There might have been a rear facing reflector on the CX in some markets, but your US spec Standard wouldn't have had one.
Not might - as I said, they were fitted to UK and Europe models, and all rear reflectors are red.
Many earlier bikes didn't have separate, additional reflectors, just as in the US, but they seem to have been required on new bikes here since the late 1970s.

·
Registered
1978 CX500
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a rectangular reflector built in to the taillight. I want to fill the hole in the painted plastic fender. I bought a round 1 7/8" red with silver surround reflector on EBay from seller 2fastmoto for $7.91 shipped. Also bought the previously noted rubber plug for $3.00.
I'll likely drill a hole in the plug and mount the reflector through it.
It won't be'concourse' correct, but should look like it belongs there. Only the experts on this site will know it's wrong.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,917 Posts
Note that amber reflectors are NOT permitted on the rear of any vehicle in the US and Canada (probably most of the rest of the world too) because it can confuse other drivers by looking like a turn signal).

·
Registered
1978 CX500
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got a red one on the way.
A plug in a hole reminds me of a new car with dummy buttons on the dashboard, it means you didn't get some options.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,917 Posts
Looks like it belongs there.

I wish Ontario would replace the plates at regular intervals. The one on Eccles has seen a lot of winters and is in pretty sorry shape but there's no way I'm going to pay $60 for a replacememt because they used a laminated coating instead of painting it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts