Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 1980 CX500C a couple months ago that was completely in pieces. The stator Source Coil Low Speed tested outside of range and the three yellow wires all had continuity to Ground. So I bit the bullet and bought a G8 stator from Custom Rewind and an Ignitech from Cobram's most recent Group Buy. Before I got the Ignitech in, I discovered that the flywheel wasn't turning and learned through searching the forum that aftermarket gaskets can be made thinner (0.5mm vs OEM's 0.8mm) which can cause clearance issues with the rear engine cover. So I bought an OEM gasket from BikeBandit and checked the thickness after getting it in. It appeared to me to be the 0.8mm I needed. Unfortunately, I put the rear cover back on and started torquing down the bolts but soon discovered that the flywheel seemed to bog down again. Frustrated and questioning myself, I torqued the bolts down as tight as they would go without bogging anything down, lifted the engine up into the frame just to see if it would start or if this whole rebuild was a fruitless endeavor. It did start but, naturally, it leaked oil down the left side where rear cover meets the cylinder block.

My question is: Has anyone come across anything like this before? Could the Custom Rewind stator have been made too large in some area and contacting the flywheel somewhere? Or is it something else entirely that I'm not seeing?

I should be able to tighten those bolts down more than finger-tight without bogging everything down. Any help would be appreciated. I'm at my wit's end here, fellas.

·
Super Moderator
22,570 Posts
Are you sure the stator didn't end up sitting on its wires when you bolted it into the rear cover? This will cause it to cock and it could bind in the rotor. There is also a screw for the pin 5 earth point in some stators that will cause this if not moved or the case relieved to allow for it.

Some bikes have trouble with the .5 mm gasket, others don't. No bike should have trouble with the .8 mm gasket.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phreak,

It's possible that it's sitting on its wires, I suppose. I remember having a tough time getting the stator in a position that would allow the bolts to screw in. It didn't look cocked at an angle, but I guess it could be unnoticeable and still cause the problem. I don't think mine had the screw for earth. At least not that I noticed.

I appreciate the quick reply.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now this may sound stupid, but I have seen it before. Do you have the wires coming off the back of the stator or over the top?
Off the back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I've got it figured out. I guess I put the wrong washer on the starting gear shaft it seized whenever I tried to torque down the rear cover. Got the right washers on now and everything torqued perfectly. The starting gear spins easily, so hopefully that fixes it.

Thanks for your guy's help.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,615 Posts
I think I've got it figured out. I guess I put the wrong washer on the starting gear shaft it seized whenever I tried to torque down the rear cover. Got the right washers on now and everything torqued perfectly. The starting gear spins easily, so hopefully that fixes it.
I was just about to ask about that. Glad you didn't have to wait for me.

R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts