Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the middle of a stator swap on my 1982 Cx500. The engine is out, and I'm trying to get the rear casing off, but it seems to be stuck. The water pump cover has been removed, along with the impeller, and all of the rear casing bolts are out. The rear casing is loose, and can move about 3/16 inch rear-ward, but then catches on something and will not move further. There is an audible mechanical clunk as it catches. I can push it back flush with the rest of the crankcase easily, so I don't think it's binding on the locator dowels. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,152 Posts
Try pushing in on the gearshift spindle while trying to withdraw the cover. You should do this anyway.

Make sure you have removed the very top bolt. It seems to get overlooked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply- I've tried both of those suggestions and still no dice.

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
So a bigger longer pry bar is not the best answer. :question: :crazy:
Not yet. Take the advance off and then use the bigger prybar.

·
Super Moderator
14,764 Posts
have you considered using the factory service manual and reading the procedure?
That is exactly what I was going to suggest. You can download the FSM from the CX Wiki (link in my signature).

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Do I detect a little sarcasm here???

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Sarcasm began at #6.

Yep....just need to follow the FSM.

My dear Father gave me a useful bit of advice as I was trying to disassemble some parts with a BFH. He said, "Son, force is always an answer. It may not be the best answer." Then he walked away after handing me the How To manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
of course reading the directions takes all the fun out of it

and should only be used as a last resort

This did the trick. Turns out my trusty Clymer manual was missing a few steps. Engine casing remove successfully and the new stator cranking out ~ 14 V on idle. Now to find the missing thrust washer so my water pump stops weeping...

Thanks for the tips, all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts