Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was waiting for an opening in traffic today while leaving the parking lot of our local supermarket, when I was rear-ended. I never even saw the car coming. It hit my back wheel, and threw me backward off the bike. I ended up on my back, and my bike ended up on its left side. I was lucky to escape pretty shaken with some nasty scrapes and bruises. Will probably be pretty sore tomorrow. The other driver and I called the police and exchanged insurance info.

My bike didn't fare as well. I was able to ride it the 1/4 of a mile home, but the left side sustained some damage. The gear shift lever got bent back enough to make shifting down to 1st gear difficult, as well as the left foot peg. The engine doesn't seem to be damaged. My left header pipe got scratched, and the front and rear turn signals sustained damage but still work.

I have a couple questions to pose to all of you. I am going to make an appointment with my local honda mechanic to look the bike over and give me an estimate of the damages, and to make sure there isn't any structural damage that I am missing, but I am wondering if it is deeply unwise to ride the bike to work tomorrow. My wife has to be at work, and my bike is my primary mode of transport. The back end took a decent hit, but there doesn't seem to be any damage to the frame or anything like that.

Also, should I get a new helmet? I'm not even sure that I took a head hit, as the whole thing was such a blur, but since I landed on my back, I'm assuming I did. I know that the manual says to replace it after any incident, but I'm wondering if should for one this minor. This may be a long shot, but does the other driver's insurance cover the replacement of a damaged helmet or equipment in an accident that is not the motorcyclist's fault?

Thanks so much for your help, and be safe out there!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Can't say I have a lot of advice here.... but just wanted to say I'm glad you're alright. +1 on getting a new helmet, and I would imagine the OP insurance would cover a helmet since it is directly related safety equipment that was damaged due to their person's negligence. Perhaps not though if they are not mandatory there.... it would be a good question to ask when you talk to your ins person....

Once again- glad it was just a few scratches!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Glad you ok with minor injuries, i would have the bike checked out but then again i would also do an inspection myself if ya see nothing bent or twisted it should be good but i would make sure everything was functioning correctly first like that shifter ya dont want any other issues to arise due to this again glad you ok

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I guess for me it depends on the distance and speeds. If it's a short distance at slower speeds I would probably take the bike.

I might call your insurance company and ask them who they suggest you take your bike to and gear to get it checked out the right way.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Glad you are OK. I would think if you flew off the bike and landed on your back it was not minor and your helmet did it's job and needs to be replaced.

This has also got me thinking about what the blue book value of the bike is worth seeing it is 30 year old. Years ago a friend of mine bought a used Corvett for $5,000 that was mint. He had it insured for the $5,000, as a vintage car but he had to drive it less than 10,000 miles a year and keep it always garaged overnight. Sometime later he got a letter from his insurance company stating they were no longer offering that insurance and if the car was involved in a accident they would pay off using the Blue Book value. He looked it up and the Blue Book value was $800.00. He sold the car. I wonder if insurance companies would offer vintage bike values for our bikes.

I know with light aircraft they have hull insurance and you can declare the value of the aircraft - within reason. Aircraft increase in value. I remember my first flying lesson was in a Piper J3 which I could have purchased for $800.00 which was about a dollar a pound. The same aircraft today, in excellent condition would cost you between 15 and 20 thousand. Billrod

·
Super Moderator
11,467 Posts
I agree with the above comments, and I'll add mine. You do need to replace the helmet, but I think you would be okay for the trip to work, assuming it's not a long ride. Same for the bike, if the only noticeable thing was the problem with the gear shift into first. You can fluff the clutch to get going out of second, and nurse it, maybe even for a day or two. But as said. a full look over is a good idea.

Insurance will be a sticky wicket no matter what the situation, but getting a shop appraisal will help. Maybe. Bikes are not valued by insurance companies as classics unless very high premiums and insurance policies are placed against them.

I am also among those who are glad you are not seriously hurt.

Joel in the Couve.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Food for thought: depending on the manufacturer, they may have an inspection service available where you send them the helmet, they x-ray it or scan it somehow, then they either return it to you or just tell you it's shot. I know for a fact that Shoei does this as they inspected my older helmet when I smacked the pavement pretty hard on the back of my head. I hit hard enough to feel goofy for a while and yet they sent it back and said it was OK to continue using. The service is free, though you have to pay to ship it to them. They shipped it back on their own dime.

The bad news is that it took about three weeks. You'll need to have something to wear in the meantime.

Here's some information to get you started:

Arai

Free Inspection Service, With $10 Return Shipping Fee.

Send to:

Inspection

Arai Helmets

P.O. Box 9485

Daytona, FL 32120

(386) 441-6592 Bell

Free Inspection Service

Call Lee Jason at (714) 670-0419 to arrange an inspection.

Shoei

Free Inspection Service.

Inspection takes up to three days and the helmet is returned via UPS ground with a letter of explanation and recommendation.

Send to:

Shoei Safety Helmet Corp.

Attn: Inspections

3002 Dow Ave. Suite 128

Tustin, CA 92780

(909) 520-0500 Suomy

Free Inspection Service.

Send to:

Gearbox International

(950) Gilman St. Suite 800

Berkeley, CA 94710

(800) 799-9444 In all cases, include your name, return address, daytime phone number and a brief description of what happened to the helmet.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
GLAD you are (for the most part), OK. The bike can be fixed up, but, me myself? Could not fathom going to work with a bent shifter. FER'CRIPES SAKES!!!....

Cagers???????.............ARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
wow, I just saw another post just like this on a BMW site. He was rear ended while sitting at a light. It is scary out there. Everyone be careful.

please keep us posted what the driver's insurance co will do for you. I suspect they will not pay more than blue book which I suspect is less than $1000.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Sorry this happened to you.

I hope your OK today.

I am sure your sore. Did you even go into work today? Depending on how sore you are a sick day might be justified.

I would probably replace the helmet. I would expect the OP's insurance to pay it given GA is a wear it to ride it state for helmets.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Ditto on the well wishes... always sorry to hear of this kind of needless "Accident"

A new helmet will not hurt anything while a compromised one could... I say go for it regardless!

PS We All should know to keep a vigilant eye out the mirrors, hand on the controls and have an escape route if possible... it is very common for motorcylists to be rear ended at stop lights as we sometimes blend in to all the other sparkly stuff.

This Happened to me in the 70's on a scooter. Luckily, no harm no foul... a cop that saw it did give the driver a citation and a good lecture!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info and wishes, everyone. It is really appreciated. I am about to head to work, and just fired up the bike, which sounded fine. I am going to take it into the shop tomorrow for a lookover and estimate. I will definitely let you all know about what the driver's insurance will cover.

I'm also going to order a new helmet.

Thanks again, and I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Keep us posted. I'd be interested if, when hit from behind, are our bikes suseptable to damage caused by the rear wheel being pushed against the frame, thus bending the frame, thus putting the shaft drive in "tension"...and or other types of damage of this general kind. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok.  I'd definitely replace the helmet, I don't know if your insurance will or won't pay for that but it's definitely worth asking.  At traffic lights I always try to position myself to the side of the lane for this exact thing, but I can't say I've thought about it when pulling out or waiting to pull out in a parking lot.  Just goes to show you never know what's going to happen and can never be prepared for everything.

·
Registered
128 Posts
About the helmet...

When my bike was knocked over in a parking lot my insurance agent asked if my helmet was damaged in any way. The other agency also asked. I assume they were going to pay for any damage to it since they asked, so you may ask the others agency if they will pay for you a new helmet. Just a thought.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I finally met with an insurance adjuster from the other drivers company (Geico) and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. He was super helpful and knowledgeable about bikes. He made an estimate of damages, and the labor that would be involved, and cut me a check for just over $1000. I can use the money however I like, so I might go ahead and just look for a parts bike instead of searching for individual parts.

He even gave me money to replace my helmet, and my clothing that was damaged in the accident.

Moral of the story: if you have to get rear-ended, make sure the other driver is covered by Geico

Thanks again for all of your input, guys. It is much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Ok so $1000. What's the damage estimate that they gave you and what parts do you need to fix it up? I'm sure we have some parts floating around here for a deluxe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gene - Yes. This has been keeping me pretty busy lately. I'm really glad it wasn't worse. Thanks again for the pipes.

Blindstitch - Looks like I will need a new left front blinker, new gear shift lever, rear fender, and some other things that aren't coming to me right now. I am going to take it into the bike shop next week for they're once-over, and will probably have a longer list then.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Any chance you can take a picture?

I seem to think I may have some of the parts you need. Possibly shifter lever and fender with grab rail maybe even the light too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts