Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My version of how to solve the drum brake dilemma. This is not finished of course but enough to show. GSX-R 1000 rotor, R1 hanger and caliper, my design rotor carrier. Carrier will have lightening holes for better unsprung and rotational weight properties. Parts selection is the key to these conversions. The rear rim will be built as the front with aircraft hardware and a Comstar 2.50" x 18" wheel. If I had money to throw at both front and rear titanium bolts and light weight rotors would be tops.

Cheers, 50gary

Edit: as frigging usual the picture is a no sho. Sorry I'm having computer problems, five year old junk.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My version of how to solve the drum brake dilemma. This is not finished of course but enough to show. GSX-R 1000 rotor, R1 hanger and caliper, my design rotor carrier. Carrier will have lightening holes for better unsprung and rotational weight properties. Parts selection is the key to these conversions. The rear rim will be built as the front with aircraft hardware and a Comstar 2.50" x 18" wheel. If I had money to throw at both front and rear titanium bolts and light weight rotors would be tops.

Cheers, 50gary

Edit: as frigging usual the picture is a no sho. Sorry I'm having computer problems, five year old junk.

hey my friend here a solution for your problem

·
Registered
197 Posts
Rear disc brake? Sounds very nice. Before I take-on a project like that, I will have to work on my single disc front brake. As of now, my rear drum brake works better than my front disc brake!!!

I would love to see your idea though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
[quote name='cbkurvenkratzer' date='13 November 2010 - 11:22 AM' timestamp='1289676128' post='27649']

Rear disc brake? Sounds very nice. Before I take-on a project like that, I will have to work on my single disc front brake. As of now, my rear drum brake works better than my front disc brake!!!

I would love to see your idea though.

Now I can see pics.....looks nice.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Cheers, 50gary

Gary, Is this it?

hey my friend here a solution for your problem

Those are both nice looking rear disc brakes! Will install on on my bike one day, probably using ideas from you guys!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes! that's it, thanks (Exploring/Carolina) so much for posting my picture as I've said I'm having computer woes!

That is my solution, light weight and simple. No added parts, my hub has the original drum machined off completely. That reduces the weight a tonne, remember the drum is alumimium but it's also lined with cast iron for brake shoe friction. My rotor carrier is of course a hollow tube. I will further lighten it by boring holes in it. There's a selection of parts that makes it look easy, it takes a lot of research to come up with just the right parts to do my conversion just like the front end if you do the homework it looks easy.

I have more work to do but it's coming along fine. With the rear disc in place I'll be able to remove another 5# (est) from the old brake linkage which will include the tube under the bike that acts as the pivot for the brake lever going right to the left side. I may relocate the side stand? I hate that thing anyway.

Cheer, 50gary

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
There was a German standard model CX with a rear disc brake conversion for sale several years ago. Absolutely stunning bike! I´ve kept some pictures (yes - I was interested but it was too expensive for me).

One sample:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
There was a German CX 500 with a a lot of modifications - rear disc brake conversion for one - for sale several years ago. Absolutely stunning bike! I´ve kept some pictures (yes - I was interested but it was too expensive for me).

One sample:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.