Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a bolt on rear diff from a different bike to give me different rear wheel options over using the stock rear hub and staying with comstar or going with spoke conversion.

I was hoping to use a modern 17" wheel and I just wonder if I will be looking at a lot of engineering to use something different.

Many thanks, Daniel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You're looking at a lot of engineering. Widest wheel and tire combo you can get is a 17x4.5 with a 160 and you'll have to notch the swingarm to do it. Marconumero84 is the only person who's done anything crazier with a modern alloy

There is an outfit that posts on the facebook groups that used a gutted Hyosung GT650R wheel to get a 17x4.5 but to do it that had to carve out all the supportive webbing in the hub to mount the spline adapter. I don't think it's safe.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I recall someone mating a milled down CX hub to a milled out GL1000 hub to get a 17" spoke wheel. I don't recall who, but it took some mad machining skills to make it work. It's somewhere on the forum.

Randall

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered) to your signature so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and the Previous Owners may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.

BTW: A differential is a device to allow 2 wheels on the same axle to rotate at different speeds (necessary for cornering). The gearbox at the back wheel of a bike is called a final drive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 500 turbo has a 17" rear wheel - and I'm fairly sure it fits a carby CX500. It doesn't have a much wider rim, but that is possible to change (e.g VF750 - which is what I've done on my CX650Euro). The real limit is the space between the rear swingarms....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts