Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
Im trying to remove my rear cover to look into the triple bypass and have run stuck.
I have every thing loose and removed accoriding to the manual, the cover moves freely about 1/4 inch but then clunks pretty hard against something? The shifter shaft seams to be free from the cover I do not think that is hanging up what am I missing? I do not want to get to crazy and crack the housing so I am a bit afraid to put alot of pressure on it.
Thanks for any help and suggestions

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the cover does seem to be hanging up near the middle, it will rock side to side and top to bottom so there may be merit in the timing plate? I have the cover off and do not see anything hanging up but does not mean that there is not something there I need to remove yet?
Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go through the steps as laid out in the FSM and see if you missed anything.
I have a clymer manual and I do not believe there was any reference the timing cover at any point ,during the cover removal. however I will read through it again tomorrow when I try again to get it off.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,408 Posts
The Factory Shop Manuals for these bikes are well enough written that the aftermarket books should be considered secondary references at best and unreliable at worst.

Download the FSM for the GL500 and go through the steps in it.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Font Screenshot Tree Electric blue Advertising

Reactions: Tombat

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the GREAT feedback!
That was it, my manual must be for CDI because it does not instruct me to remove the timing pieces to pull the cover.
So now the million dollar question. I am pulling the cover due to a rupture in the lower corner which caused a pretty significant oil leak. I will for sure replace the gasket and mechanical seal. I think I have a lot of life on my cam chain and guides still, if I am looking at this correctly? The bike has has 18k on the clock and looks like a significant amount of adjustment still? I only use this as a second vehicle to run back and forth to work in the summer usually around 1500 miles per year.im thinking I can get several more years before needing to do the chain and guides?
what do you think, and is there a list somewhere with the part numbers?
Thanks again for the help!!!!
Rick

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
If the cam chain tension has been recently adjusted then there is lots of life left. Make sure to us a new O-ring on the tension adjuster bolt. That O-ring can only be replaced after the rear cover is removed.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
That looks good, assuming it's been adjusted recently. Set the left cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke, loosen the adjustment bolt, give it a light tap, and tighten to spec. Then evaluate the remaining adjustment range.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts