Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Looks like the rear cover should still be able to come off without being hindered by the broken portion of the bolt.
If there's enough of the bolt exposed after the cover is off I would try cutting a groove in the top, spraying with some 'Blaster, after letting it soak for a bit try to twist it out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
same thing happened to me removing my rear cover. I removed all the other bolts after spraying them with AeroKroil and sort of gently used a rubber mallet to get the cover to move a bit. PB Blaster works well, AeroKroil works much better if you can find it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh, and after the cover came off, there was plenty of bolt sticking out and I used vice grips to gently twist it out.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Just something to consider. During reassembly, put a little copper based anti-sieze on the threads. It'll make things much easier in the future.

Aluminum and steel have a tendency for galvanic corrosion that locks stuff together.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Kroil is the best I have found I have used it for 50yr. Out works all the others as per price it takes less to work so price is noontide so high

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How difficult should it be to remove the rear cover? I'm going to try light taps with a mallet

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the dumb question but I'm having trouble removing my rear case. I'm only getting a small gap, would I have to remove the Advance Unit? And how would I be able to do it?

·
Super Moderator
21,622 Posts
If your bike is CDI you can leave the advance unit in place. It must come out if the bike is TI.

Have you removed the coolant pump cover and impeller?. These must come off.

A snapped cam can result otherwise. I have a rear engine cover in spares here with the back of the cam still in the coolant pump housing. [not my work]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah those are off, I can budge it a bit but it looks like the gasket is really stuck towards the top of the rear cover. I'm pretty sure that I should be able to take it off regardless of the damaged bolt.

My bike is CDI

·
Super Moderator
21,622 Posts
OK, either side of the coolant pump there are tubes that act as coolant passages. This is likely where you are hung up. The tubes are steel and can corrode with the alloy. Spray the best penetrant you have into the gap you've opened in this area and be patient. Gentle prying next to these points will help but don't get too forceful.

·
Super Moderator
21,622 Posts
Have you taken out the very top bolt?

Don't mean to be insulting..... but I can't see in the pics.

If the top bolt is removed I expect the problem will be those coolant passage tubes.

A gentle whack or three behind the top hanger should budge it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts