Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I have searched several of the forums and such & can't seem to find this question already answered or a picture.

I have picked up a new 1980 CX500D - 1 previous owner, stored since '85. Got it up and going - running like a top but seeping some oil out of the weeper hole. Is it possible to change the oil seal on the rear of the cam shaft without having to remove the rear case?

5 years back I did the mechnical seal on my other bike (1981 CX500C) with the motor still in the frame. Very carefully used a custom made tool to press the new mech seal in (not the Shep method). Ended up using a Polaris OEM seal.

I can't remember from that project if there is a flange in the rear case behind where the mechnical seal cup sits or if it is smooth and open back to where the oil seal sits. If it is an open hole I can hopefully "ease" the old oil seal out and slide/press the new one in & then dig out my mechnical seal tool to press a new mechnical seal in.

I somebody has a rear case off a bike or a mechnical seal cup removed or just happens to know that would be great!

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
If you have oil coming out of the weep hole then you have a problem. That seal can only be fitted with the engine split.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.