Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear brakes on my 1980 CX500 Custom are making a strange grinding noise while coming to a stop. Only shows up when I feather the break. If I do a hard press on the brakes, no sound and it brakes just fine.

Checked on the indicator arrows and it still shows plenty of life left in the brakes (a good half inch between the two arrows lining up on the brake drum). Just started after taking it out from winterization.

Any ideas what could be causing the grinding noise?

Planning on removing the rear wheel and taking a look inside tonight.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The rear brakes on my 1980 CX500 Custom are making a strange grinding noise while coming to a stop. Only shows up when I feather the break. If I do a hard press on the brakes, no sound and it brakes just fine.

Checked on the indicator arrows and it still shows plenty of life left in the brakes (a good half inch between the two arrows lining up on the brake drum). Just started after taking it out from winterization.

Any ideas what could be causing the grinding noise?

Planning on removing the rear wheel and taking a look inside tonight.

Thanks for all the help!
i think the indicator is not quite accurate,and you need new shoes

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You may be surprised to find it is just dirt. Remove the rear wheel and brake and clean it up with spray brake cleaner and I bet it is good to go. A friend had the same thing on his 79CX and his shoes were fine, just needed cleaning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boulder CX500 — That was my hope, considering the pads are only about a year old. Lucked out – it only has about 9k miles on it. A co-worker bought it after it had spent about 29 years in a barn, fixed it up, then I bought it from him. Working on mainly body work now. Had it about a year and it's the first time with the grinding.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the rear wheel off, pads looked good but lots of dust. Blew it out with compressed air. Took it around the block a couple of times and no grinding. Hopefully that fixed it. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.