Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

First of All a BIG thank you to Charles on getting the site up and running.

I was out riding around the neighborhood when I had to suddenly brake for a squirrel.

Normally, I would not expect the rear brakes to lock up under this condition, but this time they did.

I didn't think the back brakes should lock up anytime. Any ideas on what could cause this to happen, with exception of the heavy foot of course?

Silent

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I reckon its adrenaline.

Today I had two 'attempts on my life' in 200 yards

by drivers who reckoned giving way doesnt count if its

only a motorcycle and they're busy chatting on mobile phones

I locked the back wheel both times and I think I may have locked the

front as well briefly.

It was dampish mind you and that makes it easier.

Normally I never lock the back wheel but I have on occaisons

of sudden emergency.

I saw so many drivers using phones whilst driving today I was

getting very angry.

Its as well they dont let us have guns y'know.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It's been my experience that back brakes always lock up easier than the front. Having said this, I have to admit that I've only ever had drum brakes on the rear of any bike I've ridden and only ever had discs on the front of three of them.

With the exception of the rare panic-pucker-brake-everything-and-hold-on scenarios I tend to use my rear brake as often for lighting up the brakelight when I have a tailgater as I do for real braking.

And yes, it certainly is easy to jam that foot down way too hard without thinking.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been practicing locking my back wheel up lately because last time I needed to stop quickly, I locked the front wheel and that ended up badly. if it's gravelly for example back wheel lockage can come in handy if you know how to control it properly. doesn't take that much, just test it to see how far you need to press to get the wheel to stop.

reg, there are tons of drivers on phones about the now, I nearly got clipped by one last week who was sitting between 2 lanes and decided to take an immediate right, from stationary, without indicating just as I was filtering past, I inadvertently gave them a kick (which hurt a bit as I wasn't wearing my boots for once). carry eggs, i reckon.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Last baron is that your bike in Seymour Road?

I spotted an engineless bike there a while back while delivering a telly

for someone and today while going over to Maplins I swung by and see

its now got a motor and a corbin seat

Your that new MCC puppy aintcha?

lotsa ya now I hear

I dunno bristo used to be respectable........................

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you pull the clutch in, it's super easy......

As with all vehicles, your front brakes do most of the work. Weight transfers forward under braking making the back end "light".

·
Registered
422 Posts
Haven't locked the brakes on the GL500, but during the MSF course I locked up the back wheel on the Nighthawk 250 pretty easy and often. And those were some dinky brakes.

I do believe though, that if your rear brake locks and you start to skid, you don't want to let up on it. Just ride it out...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have a hands free law here. I still have yet to see how that helps, I know for sure it doesn't Ask my bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Locked mine up yesterday when a lady in a convertible who was smoking and talking on the phone at the same time stopped in front of me for no reason at all. Did the skid and squeal, fishtailed a bit then finally applied the front. I used the rear first because I thought I would jam the front and go over the bars.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I practice emergency braking from time to time on empty/safe roads.I like to know how the bike will handle in the event of one and have a had a few.I have been aided in this by some Leverets recently.Under normal circumstances I would and have overridden my natural instincts and ploughed through some small animals unless I can safely avoid them.

It's not only my life that may be at risk by avoiding animals but other road users.

As my dear old Mum used to say,"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Kamikaze Pheasants are a whole other ball-game

·
Registered
102 Posts
Under normal circumstances I would and have overridden my natural instincts and ploughed through some small animals unless I can safely avoid them.

Spoken like a true animal lover
can't beat a bit of freshly cooked rabbit roadkill. I guess I would do the same, might be worried that I'd lose traction on the guts though if it was a corner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Last baron is that your bike in Seymour Road?

I spotted an engineless bike there a while back while delivering a telly

for someone and today while going over to Maplins I swung by and see

its now got a motor and a corbin seat

Your that new MCC puppy aintcha?

lotsa ya now I hear

I dunno bristo used to be respectable........................

yeah guilty yer honour, all the neighbours were giving me an earful the day I was fitting the engine back in.... oooh what was wrong with it ?, did you have it bored out ? they used to be courier bikes back in the day. pass it every day, and wondered when it would be back ? see that scrap collector truck, well they had a good look at it the other day asked me if it had been abandoned... most of them were chuffed it was alive again though. can't bear to strip the engine out on the street again, need to move it out of sight to save the embarrassment.

bristol... respectable ?? - your 'aving a laugh. I never would have moved here if it was respectable.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
yeah guilty yer honour, all the neighbours were giving me an earful the day I was fitting the engine back in.... oooh what was wrong with it ?, did you have it bored out ? they used to be courier bikes back in the day. pass it every day, and wondered when it would be back ? see that scrap collector truck, well they had a good look at it the other day asked me if it had been abandoned... most of them were chuffed it was alive again though. can't bear to strip the engine out on the street again, need to move it out of sight to save the embarrassment.

bristol... respectable ?? - your 'aving a laugh. I never would have moved here if it was respectable.

In my younger days I had many a good night in,"Brizzle"

·
Registered
106 Posts
I saw so many drivers using phones whilst driving today I was

getting very angry.

Its as well they dont let us have guns y'know.

Yeah I'm 100% with you there. The number of people driving while on the phone is crazy.

I do lock up my brakes from time to time though. I practice power sliding just in case I ever have to for real.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Is you rear tire getting a bit on the bald side? I've noticed that the effort to lock the rear wheel is proportionaly easier the more worn the rear tire is.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've locked mine - more of a panic type of thing, it was just after I modified the brake pedal for the floorobards so I was not used to how it worked, and jammed my foot down, locking the back wheel.

As stated above, if you lock your back whell you should ride it to a stop. If not, when the wheel starts spinning again, the bike is going to straighten out... this will result in a high side if the bike has skidded at all and the front wheel and the rear wheel are not aligned.

However if you lock the front wheel you are suppose dto immediately release pressure and re-apply the brake.

Learned all the at my MSF course, though I think I already had that ingrained in me by riding dirt bikes as a youth.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts