Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took off the rear wheel and tire to paint it, and upon reinstalling the rear brake wont work.. I have it all hooked up and i press the pedal ddown and it doesn't work..

I'm sure there's a simple reason why just can't think of it. Help quickly plz! gotta finish this project

uploaded pictures---- bump!

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
It sounds like you need to tighten up the adjuster nut on the brake rod. They need to be tightened up on the threaded shaft until you get about 1" or so of travel when you step on the peddle.

Did you take the shoes off the backing plate?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I honestly don't remember, I am very new to the bikes. I pulled the drive shaft off, and the brake unit. However I did put it back in place as I remember.

To what you said, I did tighten down the nut on the brake rod, and it still doesn't do anything. It just seems like the brake isn't engaging at all... idk what i did wrong.

I've read the manual but it's still very vague on how to reassemble the backtire/wheel. I'm guessing i re-installed it wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
OK, lets see if we can get this corrected without pictures.

First of all, you need to put the lower stay rod back in place before the breaks will be in the correct position to work. That's the main problem.

Loosen the axle nut so you can position it and put the top bolt (in your picture) in the hole of the brake baking plate. Then put the rod on that's connected to the swingarm on it. Then comes the rubber washer followed by the metal washer and nut. DO NOT forget to put a cotter pin in to ensure the nut will not back off. I have seen this happen a couple times. Tighten up the axle and you should be ready to adjust the rear brakes.

The brake lever that's on the splines has a dot in the end of the shaft and a dot on the brake lever. Make sure they line up too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm still confused, i just went out and looked at it for a few minutes. I understand that the swing arm pushes the drums out and stops the wheel... and confused from there lol sorry for the hassle

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Looks like the brake rod is above the axle, it should be below the axle?????

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Old Okie, He's working on a GL500. The brake arms on the GL's go UP.

I'll get you a picture of what the arm is that you need to hook up.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
OK, this is my CX500 project so don't worry about the brake lever pointing down.

But you can see the lower control rod that bolts to the bottom of the backing plate. That's what your missing to make the brakes work right.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok here's what i have figured out... I know the rod is hooked up right, now I just have to figure out why the wheel isn't locking into place, cause now it's floating free.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
I didn't see the lower control rod in your pictures. Did you take it off the swingarm?

Do you see the lower arm I'm referring to? It's about a 1/2" round bar that bolts to the extended section of the brake backing plate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.