Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX 500 Custom
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
I just picked up my cx500. It's in good shape, seems to run pretty well and all that.

I have a rear brake issue. The pedal sits level with the peg. No problem there.
but I have 5cm of free play downward before the brakes are engaged.
The 2 arrows on the rear hub are nowhere close to pointing to each other.
The dots on the splined gear on the rear hub and the rear brake lever back there are lined up and "facing" the axle.
The freeplay is very light and the pedal doesn't return.
The adjuster nut is almost tightened all the way down. The spring back there is nearly fully compressed and there is no resistance up or down on the pedal until I hit 5cm where the brake engages.

I'm thinking maybe a broken brake shoe spring? I read the FSM and it says 20-30cm is normal, this is 50cm.

What do you all think?

·
Super Moderator
22,555 Posts
Unlikely to be a broken spring.

Most often I see that the pedal cross shaft, pull rod attachment and the spindle at the rear brake hub haven't been serviced forever and are stiff.

It is best to dismantle, clean and relube these areas.

As to the excessive pedal travel? It's likely just adjustment required.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX 500 Custom
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unlikely to be a broken spring.

Most often I see that the pedal cross shaft, pull rod attachment and the spindle at the rear brake hub haven't been serviced forever and are stiff.

It is best to dismantle, clean and relube these areas.

As to the excessive pedal travel? It's likely just adjustment required.
I forgot to say the adjuster nut is almost tightened all the way down. The spring back there is nearly fully compressed and there is no resistance up or down on the pedal until I hit 5cm where the brake engages.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX 500 Custom
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thats what I'm thinking. Even though the arrows are more than 1cm apart it seems that something is odd.
Do you have a place you recommend for rear pads? I'm thinking the EBC 321 pads. Amazon has them and can get them here in a day.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX 500 Custom
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just took a look under the bike. The darn return spring for the brake pedal is missing. I will need one of those. Lol

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
Your Custom should have a fairly ordinary tension spring to return the pedal with one end hooked to a tab on the brake pedal's arm. I expect you can find a suitable replacement at a well stocked hardware store.
FWIW, mine had the other setup with the spring at the opposite end of the brake shaft but when the spring broke I welded a tab to the pedal arm and converted it with a spring I had on hand.

I think I would take the whole system apart to clean & re-lube everything (the shaft that runs through the frame should be OK with regular grease but silicone grease is recommended for the parts at the brake plate). While it is apart check the thickness of the pads and replace if necessary and when you re-assemble it make sure the punch marks line up where the pedal goes onto its shaft and where the arm attaches to the cam's shaft and that the wear indicator is lined up correctly on the cam's shaft (this is covered in the FSM).

BTW: Any time you have the rear wheel off it is a good idea to clean out any old grease from the splines and replace it with lithium based grease with molybdenum additive (AKA moly-lith grease) and when you re-install the wheel loosen the final drive nuts and re-tighten everything in this order:
1) axle nut (this will pull the wheel and final drive splines into alignment)
2) pinch bolt in left side of swingarm (if you do this before the axle nut you will pull the ends of the swingarm together when you tighten the axle nut)
3) final drive nuts

I also recommend replacing the o-ring on the hub (inside the spline flange) and the one on the final drive's gear (at the base of the splines) with new ones while it is apart unless you know they have been replaced them recently and are good because if one of them breaks it will let dirt into the grease that will quickly wear the splines away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts