Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Apologies for my first post being a cry for help however after a bit of searching I'm still stuck.

I am the recent keeper of a 1982 CX500EC (Eurosport), this model has the twin front discs and also a disc brake rear.

My rear brake is sticking on causing a noticeable amount of drag and heat build-up. I'm guessing the pistons are dirty and that the seals are probably hardened with age too.

Does anyone know if the rear calliper is unique to the CX500 or is it shared with other models?

I notice the seal kits appear to be suitable for front and rear callipers also, would a a spare front calliper fit on the back?

Many thanks in advance.

Mat

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hi there,

Apologies for my first post being a cry for help however after a bit of searching I'm still stuck.

I am the recent keeper of a 1982 CX500EC (Eurosport), this model has the twin front discs and also a disc brake rear.

My rear brake is sticking on causing a noticeable amount of drag and heat build-up. I'm guessing the pistons are dirty and that the seals are probably hardened with age too.

Does anyone know if the rear calliper is unique to the CX500 or is it shared with other models?

I notice the seal kits appear to be suitable for front and rear callipers also, would a a spare front calliper fit on the back?

Many thanks in advance.

Mat
hi mat,and a warm welcome from spain.im guessing you are uk based.spend a few minutes to update your signiture line,showing your location and your bikes details

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Mat

sticky rear calipers not uncommon

hers a link to a page where the author has had umpteen of the buggers apart.

not sure if the Euro has a twinpot on the rear, but the principles the same

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Mat

sticky rear calipers not uncommon

hers a link to a page where the author has had umpteen of the buggers apart.

not sure if the Euro has a twinpot on the rear, but the principles the same

Reg, I think you forgot something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and help guys,

Yeah the link would be helpful

I'm quite enjoying the CX500, my previous bike was a gorgeous Ducati Monster though the CX is proving a brilliant bike for shooting through town and will look the part when finished.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Common on Euro models. Did my brother-in-laws last winter. I believe the front left is identical, not 100% sure !

We ended up removing the caliper mount arm and straightening it in a vice. The overheating had caused it to warp "slightly". (the brake pads were a little tapered, from one end to the other) Put new kit in caliper and re-machined disc rotor. Works perfect.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all,

I've just had the same thing on my Eurosport. I wouldn't mind betting that the front and rear calipers are interchangeable but I dont think the front would allow you to mount the duck bill shaped water guard on the rear of the caliper - I think this is designed to stop the disc throwing water up your left leg.

I've just freed my caliper off by demounting it, removing one pad and then repeatedly pushing the pistons out with the brake pedal, cleaning them with white spirit and applying a silicon rich maintenance spray (GT85 in my case - make sure you don't contaminate the pad material). One brake pad left in situ will stop the pistons extending so far that they pop out. The pistons can be pushed back in with a smallish g clamp if you don't own a purpose made compressor.

Does anyone know if the rear disc on this model is interchangeable with other Hondas? Mine is down to the wear limit and a replacement aftermarket part is eye wateringly expensive!

Cheers

Daz

·
Registered
309 Posts
Does anyone know if the rear disc on this model is interchangeable with other Hondas? Mine is down to the wear limit and a replacement aftermarket part is eye wateringly expensive!

Cheers

Daz

`Fraid not, that disc is only fitted to CX500/650 Eurosprouts and Turdo`s..

·
Registered
851 Posts
Be sure to check the fluid return hole on the master cyl, there are 2 holes were the fluid supply pipe goes in , the smaller of the 2 gets blocked, same for the front master too. The symptom of this is a dragging brake also!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's odd you should mention the duck bill thing being on the front, mine is on the back!

So it would seem someone has already replaced the caliper...

I've just been moving house so I'll try to take a look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ah sorry Matbat - my post wasn't too clear - the duckbill water guard thing is a rear caliper part. I was just musing that the front caliper would probably fit on the rear but if you tried it you wouldn't be able to attach that water guard part to it. By the way beware if you unscrew the water guard - the mounting bolt hole isn't blind and brke fluid will weep out of it without a bolt in place!

Cheers

Daz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.