Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

In the process of rebuilding the rear wheel after powder coating, and something that has been bugging me since i stripped down the rear assembly. I seem to be missing an o-ring from the rear bevel drive collar to the rear hub, In its place was a gob of silicone?

IMG_3325 copy.jpg

Now the only thing i can assume is that that particular o-ring stops any leakage of grease from the wheel bearing entering the bevel drive? And since i will be running sealed bearings do i actually need this o-ring?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
Actually, it keeps dirt out of the splines. I had one of those o-rings fail and had to replace the spline flange (thanks again, Murray) because road dirt & grease form an abrasive paste similar to valve grinding compound.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense Sidecar Bob, had a look at the splines, and they do seem ok, perhaps the silicon was doing a job after all?
I have got a feeling that I tried to source this o-ring a while back but nobody seemed to stock it, and if memory serves me right it was a really weird size?
any suggestions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well would you Adam and Eve it, there is one on ebay (uk) for the princely sum of £1.70!

I honestly thought I would be making my own o-rings for this particular task, sorry to be a pain guys, and thanks anyway.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Honda Motorcycle Parts 1980 CX500D A REAR WHEEL Diagram

that o-ring is readily available and its cheap

Check out item 11 on the following link. I am a huge fan of partzilla. I have bought tons of items from them and they have been great. I believe they ship international. The local Honda dealer here carries them as well so I assume getting one won't be bad. Enter the part number on ebay from the diagram on the link. I have extras.....if you were local I would give you several.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks CSmith, i should of done a tad more research before posting, i think i just got it in my head that this part was a sod to get hold of, but as it turns there are about a thousand on ebay, and David Silver also stocks this o-ring (of which i have just received a massive order from, but forgot this particular item?), anyway thanks for your help and i will use Partzilla, even just, as a reference point for part numbers etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
The OEM O-ring has the sizes:
O-ring, 54.5x2.4 mm

It's not a problem to use (maybe more common) 55 x 2.5 mm

Just one example.

Buy 50 for £0.28 each and save 18%

• Buy 100 for £0.19 each and save 45%
  • Buy 300 for £0.11 each and save 68%
  • Buy 500 for £0.09 each and save 74%
:D

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
BTW:
In the WIKI is a O-ring list.
oringlist.jpg

With a little knowledge**) how an O-ring works it's easy to choose a more "easier to get" size ring.
**) One important thing is: The O-ring must be compressed for 10 to 20 % of it's thickness.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that fellas, that o-ring list is a real bonus, and will probably come in mighty at some point, i'm just wondering what the (V) and (M) stand for, Viton maybe? Not sure on the (M)?

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
BTW: In case you haven't already realized, most of those o-ring sizes are pretty odd. Until you translate them into inches, that is. I have no idea why, but a lot of the rings Honda used in these bikes are inch sizes converted to metric.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
A very old thread but I didn’t see any point in starting a new one about the same topic. I just took my rear wheel off so I can replace tires and found what I believe to be this rear drive o ring. It’d been sliced and there was a LOT of grease in the hub and on the wheel. I just ordered one but also found an unopened o ring in my parts box that I’m not sure what it’s for. Looking at the list posted here I think it’s for the thermostat, will that work for the rear as well?
Also what should I look for as far as damage goes? I have no idea how long it’s been broken so other than cleaning everything very well and replacing the oring what should I look for?

·
Super Moderator
13,707 Posts
The o-ring you use should be close to the size the parts drawing says so measure it and see. And yes, the ring's wire size (cross sectional diameter) is critical so you can't use a skinnier ring.

When one of the rings in Eccles broke dirt/grit got into the grease and ground the splines very thin. Once you have cleaned out the old grease you can see this clearly.

Note that 2 o-rings are involved in keeping dirt out of the grease, one on the wheel and one on the final drive and if either fails the splines can become damaged.
BTW: It is always a good idea to wash out the splines &c and apply fresh lithium based grease with molybdenum to the splines every time the wheel is off.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Thanks Bob,

Looking at the parts diagram I only see 1 ring, part 11. Where is the other one? I didn’t take the drive tooth flange off the wheel yet but I’m assuming that’s where the ring was from, it was just laying in the wheel when I took it off the bike.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The other one is on the drive side, nr.30 in this picture:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts