Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my CX500 sits back in Rhode Island we are vacationing in San Miguel de Allende Mexico. We have been coming for 25 years and about 4 years ago I brought a Honda 150 single cylinder bike to get around town.

I still don't know what i did. The motor was off. i was sitting on the bike pushing it backwards to get out of a parking space and somehow might have hit the hand brake or maybe the rear tire hit a stone and the wheel was cocked. The bike began to tip over and i was not able to get my left foot from under it to stop it. It slowly fell over on top of my foot which started to hurt.

I was laying on the ground but managed to lift the rear wheel about 6 inches and pull out my foot. A Mexican came over to help. (they are always helpful) and set the bike upright. I thanked him and foot hurting got on and headed for home about 5 minutes away.

My foot seemed OK riding but when i got home i took off my shoe and sock. Oh shit. there was a 4 inch gash on the top of my foot. It was open about 1/2 inch. It was full of blood and gore and what looked like spaghetti. It was really bad. A friend drove me
to the local hospital where the doctors seemed happy that I could still move the foot. They gave me pain killers, washed it closed the wound and sewed me up with 20 or 30 stitches and sent me home. The next day ( today ) it is better. I need to get the stitches removed in 7 days.

I still don't know what I did. I only fell off one other time when i tried to kick away a dog but that was without incident. Probably careless (being 78 does not help).

Any thoughts. Is it time for a car????? being old sucks.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ouch! I have noticed my skin isn't as tough as it once was also,, and I'm only 68. Only? I hope it heals fast. As far as advice on quitting bike riding, I'd say do what you feel capable and confident with, the current injury could have partly been a case of some unusual circumstances. Also, I quit riding even short distances without boots after an injury as a youth in tennis shoes,,, hill climbing, bad idea,,,

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm curious......What was your footwear?

Once upon several lifetimes ago, I had an accident to go down on my left side. My left foot was pinched between the foot peg and the frame. When my knee hit the ground, my foot was pulled out of the bind. Resulted in a piece of flesh being torn out next to the big toe joint. The joint was exposed. Bled everywhere. In the Emergency room the Dr asked if I wanted him to save the boot. I looked down, first time, to see a large piece of leather torn off and the sole partially removed. I said to the Dr., "F the boot, let's keep the foot." After clean up the Dr informed me there was nothing to stitch together, the flesh had been removed, but the boot did save my foot. The open wound required daily cleaning and finally closed about 6 months later. This was in1983, I still dealing with the severed nerve and scar tissue. I am thankful about the boots I was wearing. Life would have been more difficult missing a foot.

Now, my daily footwear is heavy work boots. I rotate 3 pair.

If you're not wearing sturdy foot wear, then I'd suggest to invest in a good pair of boots for riding and wear them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm curious......What was your footwear?

Once upon several lifetimes ago, I had an accident to go down on my left side. My left foot was pinched between the foot peg and the frame. When my knee hit the ground, my foot was pulled out of the bind. Resulted in a piece of flesh being torn out next to the big toe joint. The joint was exposed. Bled everywhere. In the Emergency room the Dr asked if I wanted him to save the boot. I looked down, first time, to see a large piece of leather torn off and the sole partially removed. I said to the Dr., "F the boot, let's keep the foot." After clean up the Dr informed me there was nothing to stitch together, the flesh had been removed, but the boot did save my foot. The open wound required daily cleaning and finally closed about 6 months later. This was in1983, I still dealing with the severed nerve and scar tissue. I am thankful about the boots I was wearing. Life would have been more difficult missing a foot.

Now, my daily footwear is heavy work boots. I rotate 3 pair.

If you're not wearing sturdy foot wear, then I'd suggest to invest in a good pair of boots for riding and wear them.
I was wearing sneekers. In this town it is difficult to get even into 3rd gear. Mexicans don't bother with speed limits or cops. They just put speed bumps everywhere. This makes everything slow.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Back in the Day, I was rolling through a campus parking lot on my Yamaha 250. Leather Jacket, looking pretty cool. I hit something with the front tire and the front went out from under me and I fell off the bike. It was a greasy rag. It threw me without my touching the front brake. A college girl walking by didn't ask me if I needed help. she just said,
"CanI see you do that again?"

·
Registered
176 Posts
Aryd, slow is the most likely for tip overs.

My accident happened as I was making a left turn. I had to yield to oncoming traffic. When the traffic cleared I began to make the turn........I was maybe doing 10 mph or less. There I am in the middle of a busy intersection pinned under my GL500I. Manage to get out from under and hoist the bike onto its feet.

IMHO, wearing sneakers is just like going barefoot or wearing flip-flops.

Heal well. I won't say quickly because feet are very slow healing. I do wish you no complications.

·
Super Moderator
13,497 Posts
FWIW, I had a similar crash on my GS400 several decades ago, turning left into the street where we lived from the main road, slowed to about walking speed so oncoming traffic could pass and as I started into the turn I think one of the tires stepped off of a piece of gravel on the pavement and the next thing I knew I was too far over to pull it back up. In my case, I was wearing boots and I landed with my foot in the space beside the carbs with the frame rail resting just above my ankle but not high enough to pull my foot out. While I was sitting there trying to figure out how to get enough leverage to lift it up the half inch or so to free myself a car stopped and the driver helped me lift it. Fortunately, my injuries were limited to a skinned knee and a couple of bruises. The bike needed a left mirror and a clutch lever (which I happened to have) and I had to straighten the footpeg with a big hammer.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Good reminder to order a spare clutch lever and brake lever for touring trips. Every bike I have owned that has fallen over has broken that side lever.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Years ago I rode into a friends drive and was attacked by his doberman. The dog grabbed my right foot and pulled my foot off the peg causing me to fall. As soon as the motor died the dog retreated. The dog owner said " Yeah, she doesn't like noise". My injury?? Got my big toe mashed and the nail came off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts