Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pun intended... got the radiator off the 1981 GL500i and started to remove the cooling fan bolt. Two turns with the wrench and it slides out– someone's stripped the threads. So how do i get this bad boy out? I've searched the forum and only found the 14x1.5 bolt trick which warns of using a flat bolt as possible to avoid this issue, but now we're past that step! Also in tracing the oil leak that is present, I noticed that the camshaft bolt on the front cover is separated from the ring. Anyone know where I can get one of those? IMG_7664.JPG IMG_7665.JPG

Thanks all,
James

ps. if I didn't dig far enough in past threads to find if this has been covered, forgive me. I am pretty sure I did the due diligence but if not, please let me know and if you could post the previous thread or direct me to it in anyway that would be equally appreciated!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the head of the tach cable retainer bolt is stripped. I don't believe the leak is from there, (cleaned everything up and ran it for a little to revisit the issue and it's currently only leaking from the cam end) so can I just remove the cam bearing cover and service the seals inside?

James

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, i know that murray isn't a proponent of the e-fan but this original fan is pretty cracked and brittle. If one converted to an e-fan am I right in remembering that you can lop off the end of the camshaft and batten down that hole?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Dancx500 has/had plugs for the cover or you can use a 650 cover

·
Registered
24,369 Posts
the issue here COULD be the cam bearing (holder) is worn so the cam is pulled/pushed to one side a but where the bearing is worn

this causes pressure on the ca seal and can walk it out when i see a cam seal popped i like to remove the bearing and check that it is still round with no wear

then i will happily throw a new seal in with bit of loctite seal retainer

·
Registered
222 Posts
There's supposed to be a bearing in there? Both mine were just like giant bushings...

Use a synthetic assembly paste when you put it back together. Not much else one can do with it off.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts