Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Mods please move this post if I have it in the wrong section of the forum

Since starting my project CX500 and finding a signification amount of frame rot, typical to the UK models, I was forced to look into ways to save the bike and found out about the monoshock kits. I ordered one but was disappointed with the finish and the quality.

I then decided to develop my own, and after putting the time and effort in decided to try and sell them.

Bobber/Cafe racer kit for Honda CX500

This Kit includes the frame, the lower shock mounts, fixings, upper shock spacers and an AV mount for the tank. The kit does not include a seat/shock

To install this kit the original rear sub frame will need to be removed and mountings holes drilled to suit this new frame, because of this some mechanical knowledge is required. Happy to be contacted to help run through the install, instructions can also be provided.

The kit as standard comes in Black or Stainless steel but for an additional £30 we can have the powder coating done in any colour, this would involve an extension to the lead-time and would have to be arranged prior to an order being placed, please contact us by email.

I am also able to provide custom designs on the frame to suit the build you are hoping to achieve (custom side plates/Top plate to suit a certain type of seat), this would have to be priced after an initial discussion.

The kit is designed to accept a 2012 - 2016 Kawasaki ER6N rear shock, please be aware that this shock will work but is underrated for this application. other shocks with an eye to eye length of 280mm - 290mm might also work but I can not guarantee this. This is why we would recommend ordering one of our Custom spec'd shocks made by Hagon Products UK which are available for an additional £395. These are made to order - typical lead-time for these shocks is 3 weeks.

International delivery is available, please contact us to make arrangements.

If you have any questions or just want to chat about the kit either message me on here or by email - [email protected]

I would also appreciate any feedback on the kits from people who have purchased one. Rear wheel moon discs will be available soon, along with other parts/exhausts as I finish development, If there are any parts that the community think would be good to develop please let me know

Attachments

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
It looks like an expensive way to ruin a bike to me.

I've had to deal with quite a few corroded CX frames and
swinging arms over the years.
What you have cut off isn't even close to the worst of the 'typical' UK rot areas
apart from the rear footpeg hangers, but because of their location
they're probably the easiest frame part to repair.
The engine hanger area and swinging arm have always been the weakest points.

The monoshock mod is purely cosmetic, form over function butchery IMO
with no proven benefit or improvement to the bike.
Far from it.
I see a bike with compromised structural integrity
and a somewhat skinny swinging arm stressed in way it wasn't designed for.

If it's such a good idea why didn't Honda do that?
Why did they waste so much time and money designing a rugged,
fit for purpose monoshock system on triple spine frames with a much stronger swinging arm?

(there is no intelligent, engineering based answer to that btw)

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,442 Posts
I wouldn't trust a bolted-on bracket like that. The spine tube wasn't designed for a thru-bolt in those locations. Maybe with sleeves welded in...

Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Registered
24,492 Posts
this is where a copy of a copy of a copy starts to get degraded and miss the original goals

in the name of "design improvements"

without the frame sleeve there is no true torque

and the bolt is in shear and the driver weighs x times impact force of that last bump = [email protected]#$%^

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I'd like to add I'm not a purist in any way
and will happily change any aspect of a bike
I'm not content about
BUT
I do have rules.

1: do NOT make it worse.
2: It doesn't have to be pretty, but it does have to be good
ie: fit for purpose.
3: see 1 and 2
4: see 1 and 2 again
5 in case you missed it, check 1 and 2

Any of this sinkin in yet?

Reality check:
The CX is and never was, any kind of 'sports' bike.
What it was (if looked after) was a solid reliable tourer
which even after 40 years could clock up mile after mile of real world riding
and take riders to places and adventures long after much newer/faster bikes
gave up the ghost.

This hipster attitude of making a silk purse out of a sows ear
has ruined manys an otherwise good bike.
A good bike doesn't have to be fast,sexy or sporty, it just has to put a smile on your face
and get you to and back from your destination.

I do wonder if any of these so called 'designers' and 'engineers' have actually
spent any real time in the saddle.
I doubt it somehow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your comments/Feedback.

I understand this kit is not for everyone. if it wasn't for the frame rot I myself would probably not have looked at going down this route and in fact I have a second project CX500 which looks to be in a lot better condition which will be staying a lot more original as Honda intended.

I am an design and project engineer and have spoken with several other engineers and worked with Hagon for the last 4/6 months to ensure the bolts and frame for this kit are safe structurally as I have the kit fitted on my own bike. the bolts are all 12.9 grade and have a higher strength than any that Hagon use for their shocks as one example and another being the fact I want to ensure people are aware that the ER6N shock other companies use is not suitable. But I take the comments about the tubes being welded through the frame on board and maybe I should include these in the kit and I will look into it. I want peoples constructive feedback so I can offer the best product possible.

I never stated that this kit was a performance upgrade in anyway shape or form, In fact what I was creating for my self was purely a show bike with a little weekend use and I hope I have not misled anyone on that.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
If it wasn't for the frame rot I myself would probably not have looked at going down this route

You've never seen much CX frame rot then mate as you cut off the bits that hardly ever rust that badly
and blithely ignored the bits that frequently do rot badly

I am an design and project engineer ( dont build any bridges OK? for gods sake dont build any bridges)
and have spoken with several other engineers and worked with Hagon for the last 4/6 months to ensure the bolts and frame for this kit are safe structurally
Bolts?
Seriously? no one gives a monkeys about the bolts.
It's how you've compromised the structural integrity that calls your motorcycle expertise into question
How many hard miles have you put on the bike?
Has it ever been road tested?

Has it been inspected and aproved by the DVSA? ( UK Driver and Vehicle Standards Association)
This type of mod means it can not be automatically treated as a VHI ( vehicle of historical interest)
as it has been subjected to a 'substantial change' and therefore claim exemptions.

Quote from gov.co.uk:

"Alteration of the type or method of:
suspension
steering
is a ‘substantial change’.!

Modifications should make a machine operate better not worse
and certainly never cause serious compromises in structure and safety.
You've made the newbie mistake of changing something you didnt fully understand.
Put a thousand miles of real world riding on a CX then you might have an idea on how to
truly improve it

·
Registered
152 Posts
Chill out Reg...something for everyone with the CXs. Stock variants, customisation from oil filter mods to radical frame and wire wheels. I’m sure all put a smile on the owners faces and there are plenty of A & B monoshock converted bikes out there.

keep em stock if you want, make them pretty but most of all ride and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,442 Posts
This a potentially unsafe kit being offered for sale, so it's a bit different than an individual making a modification. The offer for sale implies an amount of expertise and careful R&D that doesn't appear to be there in this case.
I wonder what liability insurance the PO carries.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have always seen this forum as a helpful place for anyone in the community, By offering these kits for sale I was purely hoping to help others in a similar position and mind set when it comes to their project bikes. I asked for feedback not attacks on my professional abilities.

You will see that the frame rot I mention in my previous post was bad, and in fact structurally there was no strength left. Thankfully I found it and then as you can see I had the frame sandblasted to find the rest so I could then work on repairing it and trying to save a bike that some others might of scrapped. The engine hanger/foot rest area had its fair share of rot and I had this all repaired by a coded welder.

I do not build bridges but I do often work on structural platforms some of which I have designed. Due to such standards as 1090 for example I have to work closely with relevant certified engineers. The reason I mentioned bolts as one example is due to the fact these are typically one of the points of failure and typically are not thought about but then again who cares about bolts.

I do not claim to have any hard miles on the bike in fact I even stated what I creating is a show bike with a little weekend use. Currently the bike is not on the road as I have yet to finish the triple bypass, once the bike is finished it will be inspected but I had no reason to state this previously but I am fully aware of the DVSA and the page you linked.

I do not wish to continue with this back and forth as I do not feel either of us are benefiting from it, You do not agree with this kit or me and that is likely to never change. I have tried to answer you and show that I have done the research and am not doing this without any thought or consideration, I think we should just leave this now.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.