Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, having Issues with my M-Unit Rae-San / Ricks rectifier setup.

I am getting no spark. Engine cranks, but no explosions. Took the spark plug out on both sides and nothing's arching.

I've connected the Rae-San DC-CDI modules to ground, 12V power both switched w the M-Unit and direct 12V, as well as their corresponding coil connectors.

The main Rae-San unit is powering up and showing the corresponding LEDs lighting up for the revolutions.
(The appropriate yellow to left and blue to right for the CDI modules)

Has me shaking my head. Any experienced Input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
What coils are you using?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stock coils.

I swapped out plugs and am getting spark, the stock plugs fouled...

Now I have a new issue, the engine is flooding with gas, do I have the coils plugged up backwards or maybe have the Raesan out of whack? I tuned it per the manual and motofaction.

Going to let the motor air out and change the oil before I try to fire it up again.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
23,057 Posts
if you have spark and the coils are hooked up backwards {side to side} the bike will backfire and kick back on the starter due to ill timed sparks.

As your ignition unit is DC CDI the stock coils should work.

The fuel issue is unrelated to the sparks. Though it likely wet or fouled your originally fitted plugs.

Likely you have a hung float, [email protected] in the float needle or the float height incorrectly set.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

I'm running new Murray Carbs, but havent really used them since this thing was bone stock about 6/7 months ago.

Ignition is kicking, even threw a flame... so maybe it is the backward coils.

Definitely want to put fresh oil in it before I go firing it up again, as I can definitely smell it in the crankcase.

Any other suggestions are welcome as I won't be touching the bike again until tomorrow afternoon.

Excited to get it going, but want to take appropriate precautions.

·
Super Moderator
23,057 Posts
I would expect then that the carbs are set up correctly but that you have [email protected] in the float needles.

Though I have mikunis on one of my bikes I have never had any issue so actually couldn't tell you how to check the fuel level in the miks. I don't think that they have drains like the keihins.

That might be one for a PM to Murray.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update carbs should be fine talked to Murray this morning, going to send them in for a service since they've sat so long, but still not getting the bike to fire up.

Created a crude wiring diagram of what I have so far to see if I am just in my own way.

This is the Rae San setup I am using with the two black boxes. Wires in the documentation differ from what I have, so I used the colors on my box

Engine cranks, no start. My battery is starting to fade, so have a tender on the way to get me back to +12V, it's starting to hit 11.9... So that could easily be the culprit, but wanted to share the below to see if I may be off somewhere.

Rectangle Schematic Parallel Font Plan

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,233 Posts
If you are using a flooded lead acid battery you might want to study the chart below if you want it to last. Regular batteries are only good for a few cycles into the yellow area before they start to lose charge capacity even if re-charged right away. They also lose some charge capacity if you leave them discharged (below 12V) for a few hours.
Font Rectangle Parallel Slope Number

1 - 8 of 8 Posts