Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Looking for a bit of help reading my plugs.

I went for a short ride this morning, 20-30 minutes, to get my engine up to temp and RPM.
It seems to be running great with lots of power and no bogging. I just wanted to check my mixture as I've been tweaking the carbs a bit the last few days.

Rode the bike up to my garage and hit the kill switch while at about 4000rpm. (as I've read that is the best way to check color?).

Any help? Do these look a bit lean? or closer to a good mixture?

left_plug.jpg
right_plug.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was cruising in 5th gear at 5000rpm for the majority of the ride.

And by tweaking, I mean I have torn the carbs down, cleaned them with ultrasonic as per LARRY's book and adjusted mixture screws.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
There was a thread last week about plugs with a great photo guide to reading your plugs. I'm sure you can find with a little searching.

·
Registered
505 Posts
what speed were you running and by tweaking the carbs you mean

the mixture screws?

they wont effect your plug color while running above 2500 rpm
Now this is interesting-I like the OP always thought that plug chops were the way to read the plug colour for correct mixture.I was always taught to do a chop,read the plug,adjust the mixture screws in quarter turn increments,do another chop and check plug colour and so on until plug colours look good.Of course you start off with the mixture screws at two turns out.I was also taught
that to do a successful chop one should load up the motor at highish revs before hitting the kill switch.Have I been incorrectly advised all these years._-WK

·
Registered
851 Posts
The plug chop advice was true for old Brit bikes with Amal carbs but Murray is right with these bikes a plug chop after running over 2500rpm will only tell you if you have the right jets fitted, the mixture adjustment is only for slow running.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I must admit that I was told this by a British bike mechanic,when I rode British bikes all those years ago.-WK

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
The air fuel mix looks fine on the plug appearances.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had heard that the mixture screws didn't affect anything above idle, but had no way of verifying. Thanks for the confirmation Murray!

And thanks for the replies. My bike has been running much better since cleaning my carbs (via Larry) and fitting those rubber slow-jet plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts