Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to re pin the ignition switch? I want to re key it.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Does anybody know how to re pin the ignition switch? I want to re key it.

So not worth it. Contact Kilroy and get a good key for it. If you want to rekey anything it's the accessories.

Ignition switches are sealed units on the top and bottom. There is a seam where you can open it in the middle but it probably isn't as simple as that.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I changed barrels on a CX lock a few years back

I found the pic i took and this is how I did it.

The purple arrows show where I drilled through the chrome outer

(in three places) to get it off without distorting it.

I glued it back on BTW.

Next I used a 1.6mm drill bit a few millimeters way from the brass pin

that holds the barrel in and drilled down at 45 degrees towards it and

this jacked the brass pin up enough to grab and withdraw it.

I probably used a 1.6mm bit because it was to hand and expect any similar sized

bit would do.

Its been ages now but I think I did it because I had a Z type lock with a key

which I didnt want to use and a B type lock without a key which I did.

B type locks have the added steering lock function and I've always preferred that

to the earlier headstock types

I cut off the early type steering lock and welded a tang to my current 78 Frame

so I could use my 'one key does it all' B type lock.

I did it for the hell of it and getting a new key

from the code on the body is obviously the easiest option.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I actually have a spare CX ignition and key if you'd like it

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Reg for the instructions and pic.

Also thanks for the offer on the cx ignition switch cxlover.

I have several extra ignition switches already already. Some with keys too.

My gl650i has what 10 locks total including ignition. All of them are the same with the exception of the ignition. So no it would be [email protected]%$n foolish to go out and just get a key made for the already different keyed ignition switch. Heck I wouldn't have bothered asking if all I needed was a key made.

·
Registered
458 Posts
As far as I recall, the keys wear out, before the barrel. The helmet lock should stil be in good nick, some bikes have a keyed steering lock, too. Take these to your local "key cutting guy" and you should have a near new key in no time.

PS. Dont spray oil/WD/Rp7 or whatever in your locks. It just attracts dust, and makes a lovely grinding paste, that wears out both keys and barrels. Use powdered Graphite. Goes for home and shed and car and.........

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can rebuild them, but its fiddly. firstly, drill your lock as shown so that the barrell comes out. your original barrell for the key you wish to use is your master. Take out each individual blade and number and catalog them. then take your other barrell, and do the same. Now refile each blade in the second barrell to match each blade in the first barrell in order. When you have a complete matching set rebuild the lock using mills pins etc for the two drill locations and its job done

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The job was simple and is now complete. Already installed. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,740 Posts
PS. Dont spray oil/WD/Rp7 or whatever in your locks. It just attracts dust, and makes a lovely grinding paste, that wears out both keys and barrels. Use powdered Graphite. Goes for home and shed and car and.........
You wouldn't know it in Aus.
, but WD40 can also freeze in a lock.

A friend came home from a long day at his club's display at the New Years bike show to find that he couldn't unlock the doors of the house even though he had just sprayed them with WD a couple of days before to make sure they were well lubricated and free of moisture so they wouldn't freeze. Fortunately the garage door's lock wasn't frozen and he was able to heat up the key and open the door but it got him thinking so he sprayed some WD40 on a piece of steel and left it outside at -20c. When he checked in a few minutes it had frozen solid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually have a spare CX ignition and key if you'd like it

Hello,
New on here and have just now read your post about the ignition switch you have/had. If you still have it I would be interested in purchasing it from you. Please message me and tell me whats/what.
Julie

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thats the advantage a forum has over a Facebook page - you can access old postings here , but you cant on Facebook.

All of which is completely irrelevant to the original thread ;-)

If you are going to get a key cut for the CX you need an A12 key blank to begin with .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts