Honda CX 500 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,829 Posts
OK, that early morning premonition has paid off to be what was going on yesterday. With the coolant/distilled mix done and sitting at room temp all day, it was at 73 degrees.

So I filled the system and fired up the motor running it between 1500 to 2000 RPM.

After 6 minutes, the temp stayed at 75 degrees.

At the 7 minute mark the thermostat opened up and the temp started climbing.

So, the chemical reaction just after mixing and putting it into the motor and starting it up has been figured out. I'm very happy that it wasn't a mechanical problem like a head gasket, and the thermostat system proved accurate and functional. I can now move on to finishing up the rebuild and take this for a couple rides.

I felt bad wanting to go get the bike running this time. My cat Lucky had just come in to lay in the shop where it was cool with the AC on. It's been pretty hot outside lately. Starting the bike scared him off my chair and back outside. With the test finished I'll go get him and bring him back in.

·
Super Moderator
2,829 Posts
Well, it's time for another update after a couple days on Rosie.

With the seat pan ready, I had to do a repair on the corner of the foam where it had been deteriorated away due to sun exposure. I cut a section from an old seat foam and glued it on, followed by some shapiing with a sander.

Getting the new seat cover on is never fun. It took several times of letting it sit in the sun to warm up and slowly get it stretched into position to get the wrinkles out. These covers have usually been folded up and sit for a long time before shipping. So patience and some heat always helps. Stretch a little, set it in the sun, stretch some more, and repeat till it's done. So here's the finished seat.

Next up I had to clean up the crash bar and get it installed. But it had been dropped at some point and pushed the bar to the left. That meant all the mounts were bent too.

It took a while straightening all the mounts one at a time, but it's on level and centered again.

More to come in a couple minutes. To many pics for one post.

·
Super Moderator
2,829 Posts
Now it was time to finally get the tank cleaned up. The clear coat has been deteriorating and coming off the tank on the top. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it being this bad.

But I got out the polisher and some compound and did a test with my small buffing pad. Not too bad.

So I continued with my big polisher that had more power.

It's nowhere near perfect, but it's better than it was. The remaining clear coat was blended in the best I could.

With that, it was time to get it on the bike and have it ready to take on another test ride this morning.

Sitting in the sun idling and warming up while I got my gear on.

The ride went very well. I did about 5 miles on the freeway at 65 mph, then came back through town to ride in traffic and stop lights. The temps stayed right in the middle and she never missed a beat. I did stop and adjust the rear brake and clutch lever once. Other than that, she needed nothing. for the additional 13 mile ride.

One thing I did notice is that when turned left or right at a stand still, the front turn signals touch the crash bar. Not sure what I can do with that, but I'll try.
I also noticed the diaphram plunger in the master cylinder is pulled down into the brake fluid. So I'll pull the cover off and flush the system with new brake fluid. I was going to do that anyway since brake fluid always gets ignored till it's too late.

There IS one more detail I'm going to do to personalize Rosie. But you'll have to wait a day or two for that.
OK folks, Rosie is back on the road and ready for battle!

·
Super Moderator
2,829 Posts
Well, after 2 weeks, the final update is here. Rosie is finished and ready to go back home to Corie. I did fix the crash bar issue and bled the front brake with new fluid.

But here's the personalized touch I added. I'd been thinking about it for a while. And after a few emails with Corie, I got out my pin striping set and got busy.

Rosie is all back together now and ready to go home!

I know this thread started out with her throwing in the towel and offering Rosie up to a good home for free. And I could have taken her up on that offer. But I felt it was more important to get the issues fixed and keep Corie on the bike to enjoy riding like she initially thought she would be doing when she first bought the bike. I've done my best to ensure she can do that now with a fully safe and smooth riding CX.
Thank you all for your kind comments during this, as well as the many likes.

Corie, enjoy and ride safe!

Larry

·
Registered
126 Posts
Another fabulous ending. Larry you are a kind hearted soul with a mechanical disposition.

·
Premium Member
79 cx500c, 80 cx500 Frankenstein
60 Posts
Bravo!!! Think I needed a good story like this as much as Corie need help with her CX. Larry you're an inspiration to us all.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
I am eagerly awaiting the report after Corie takes her first ride!

101 - 120 of 135 Posts