Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would seem there is a lot of what I'll call "second tier" parts, rolling frames and even whole visually challenged bikes in the CX/GL genre around the US for cheap. Seems with the recent new fad of unemployement someone who wanted to build a bunch of reliable but ascetically challenged (even delibertely and artistically) bikes could start a subclass of CX/GL Rat Bikes. For some of us, the pride of riding a super reliable piece of sh!t is there somewhere in the rearmost dark passages of our subconscious. I rode a GL650I called "Rusty" for years, hammered hard on 2,000 mile four day weekend trips with the belief that redline wasn't a limit, but a target. After all, I had a couple of more engines in the barn anyway. Didn't need to lock it ever! I have a much nicer GL650I now that is, well, truth be told, sometimes just a little boring to look at! Rusty waits patiently in the basement to be put back together someday, smirking I think. My bro and I have a pile of parts and partial bikes that will never go into a show bike, but are just waiting to be incorporated into a 100mph nightmare on two wheels. I think it's an idea whose time has come. With scrap metal at $.10/lb? Hmmm, wonder if I've both started and ended this thread? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I like to think of my GL500 as a survivor. It has multi-coloured body work, rust here and there on the chrome and tank, minor dents. It is the bikes history for all to see.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I get what your saying, had a 68 sport fury when I was 19 ( car was 11 years old) big dent on front fender ,rusted rear quarters, faded blue paint, exhaust falling off ,ugly as sin. Good points very reliable and tough as nails, it always got it's right of way and never got cut in off when merging. Landed like a brick mind you, okay that's a story for the Grand kids. Love riding don't care much for polishing ,yet! Cheers

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
When i purchased my GL500, i named it "Scruffy" as i was going to let it fade away and become a Rat Bike.
But me and bikes i couldn't let that happen !!!!
Each to their own.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts